Help!!! Can't remove radiator Fan 4.0L Ford

Old 07-08-06, 01:36 PM
Help!!! Can't remove radiator Fan 4.0L Ford

My harmonic balancer came apart on my 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L.
So, I am trying to replace it. In the process, I need to remove the
radiator fan. But, I have removed every bolt I can find and the darn thing still won't budge. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by joeewhite
My harmonic balancer came apart on my 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L.
So, I am trying to replace it. In the process, I need to remove the radiator fan. But, I have removed every bolt I can find and the darn thing still won't budge. Can anyone help?
If your's is the one with the thermostatic clutch on the fan between the fan and the pulley, then you might need the following tool...It's a NAPA Universal Pulley Holder/Fan Clutch Tool Kit. It comes with two large wrenches and a holder that bolts to the pulley. I believe the part number is 3472. It was quite steep in price but it did the job in about ten minutes. If this is what you think you'll need, watch the threads on the fan clutch, they told me at NAPA they were left-handed but on my Chevy 4.3 the threads turned out to be right-handed (standard).

Christopher

Old 07-09-06, 12:16 PM
If your belt is still in place this procedure can be done without the expensive tool. Get the correct size wrench. I think it will be a 36mm, but could be a 32mm. Too many different ones. Put the wrench on the large nut on the back of the fan, between the fan and the water pump, and while holding it firm, give it a whack with a hammer. I have broken many of them loose with this procedure prior to buying the expensive tool similar to the one previously mentioned. I would reattach the fan to the clutch before doing this as you do not want to miss and hit that fan blade and damage it. If this doesnt work for you, you could try a large screwdriver wedged between the fan bolts while turning the wrench.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 07-09-06, 12:26 PM
The Haynes manual says you need a 2 piece set of wrenches for removal. One is short and made to be used with a cheater bar on the end. The square hole in the handle could be for a ratchet. The nut on 4.0 is standard (right handed). You may be able to rent these wrenches at Auto Zone. If you but the assembly there, rental may be free. The wrenches do not look fancy. Kind of remind me of the tools for a grinder. Flat and thin. Good luck.

Search this Thread