2001 Dodge Ram/ broken linkage

Old 07-09-06, 11:55 AM
2001 Dodge Ram/ broken linkage

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that will no longer shift the transmission inside on the steering column. I can shift under the hood. Does anyone know how difficult this would be to fix? I am guessing something inside of the column is broken. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-06, 12:24 PM
Does the shifter on the column move? Does it seem to move very freely? It sounds like it may just be the cable has come loose or broken at the shifter connection. IF you remove the lower panels on the dash you should be able to see the connection very well. The cable should be pretty easy to replace. There may be adjustments at the transmission range switch that need to be made in order for things to work properly, but lets see where you are first.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 07-09-06, 03:06 PM
Shifter moves freely. Found a couple of broken plastic pieces not sure if that is part of the problem i am having or not. Can see a cable that goes to the gear indicator display it appears to be functioning properly. Not sure what other cable u would be talking about. Do I need to remove that slotted metal cylinder that surrounds the shaft going from the steering wheel out through the firewall? That is where i found those plastic pieces. They almost look like some sort of tie. Semicircle in shape.

Old 07-09-06, 03:12 PM
The end of the shifter cable where it attaches to the shifter on the column is plastic and pliable. There is a hoop on the outside so it will only slip on in one direction. It just snaps onto the shifter. Take your flashlight and look under the dash up near the ignition switch and you should be able to see where the cable meets the shifter. The indicator works on a different method.
I wouldnt start taking anything out just yet. It is not necessary to remove the column to replace the cable. You may actually be able to see the cable coming in the firewall near where the column goes out and follow it up to the shifter.
Billy

Old 07-09-06, 03:51 PM
Thankyou. I'll give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-11-06, 05:28 PM
i could not find a cable that runs along the shaft between steering wheel and firewall. to me it looks like there are gears behind the ignition that need to turn in order to turn the shaft that would in turn shift the rod that is just outside the firewall. I don't think, if this is possible, that a cable would actually be able too turn the linkage so that the gears can shift. hopefully that makes sense. i double checked underneath the truck and everything is hooked up and working properly. anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by genetroy1; 07-11-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 06:00 PM
I suggest you have someone put the shift lever from P to D several times while you are looking up under the dash. This might help you locate where the cable goes. Another way would be to trace the cable from the transmission and have someone wiggle the cable at the firewall from the outside, while you are looking under the dash at the firewall to locate where the cable comes in at.

Old 07-12-06, 06:39 PM
After looking around for awhile i have come to the conclusion that there is not a cable. I removed the column cover and everything by the ignition seems to be working properly. As i move the shifter up and down i can see a cylinder rotate in two different spots. Right underneath the shifter and 1/3 down the shaft where it becomes covered. 2 to 3 inches passed that the cylinder inside the slotted cylinder doesn't move. That is where i found three broken plastic pieces. I am going to have somebody watch the lower cylinder as i shift from underneath the hood to see if it rotates. If it does than i am assuming that some sort of gear has broken. Let me know what you think. Maybe im crazy. Again it is a 2001 Dodge Ram SLT+ 1500 quad cab 2wd. thanks for any help.

Old 07-14-06, 03:50 AM
I apologize. It appears that I have been leading you down the wrong road on this one. I did some research and talked to my truck master tech and your truck is actually different from the design I am familiar with. It sounds like the linkage is worn/broken inside the column and that part of the column is not servicable. Apparently you will need to replace the column to repair this. Again I apologize for misleading you. I am familiar with the newer design and I was thinking that it went back to 2000/2001 models.
Billy

Search this Thread