brake fluid

Old 07-10-06, 12:41 AM
brake fluid

When checking my brake fluid, I noticed a several cloudy streaks in resivour. the fluid was clear with a light amber tint, except for the few whitish streaks. Is this moisture in the fluid?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 03:22 AM
You should not be able to see moisture in glycol based fluid. If it is bubbly then it is air, but white streaks??? Is it possible you are seeing the inside of the reservoir through the fluid? There are chambers inside the reservoir that support the piece as well as keep the fluid from aerating. How old is the vehicle? Has the fluid ever been replaced? When?
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 07-10-06, 05:31 AM
I don't know if it's water or not...but it definitely sounds like your brake fluid may have been contaminated. I would suggest bleeding your brakes until you have completely replaced (flushed) all of your brake fluid.

Old 07-10-06, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its dust/dirt 99% of the cars of the on road will have these streaks its just that no one actually pays attentin to that much detail when checking the fluid.

the other 1% are the people who flushed the brakes and took the reservoir off and cleaned it. if you don't clean the reservoir will get the "streaks" again when you pour the new fluid in and mix the sediment up again.

Old 07-10-06, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the quick replies

Snuckers, I think you are probably right, the car is 13 years old, and I recently changed the brake fluid when I replaced some of the rear brake lines. I didnt take the reservoir off and clean it though, just poured more fluid in til it came through clear when bleeding.

Old 07-10-06, 07:16 PM
It is not water, or moisture as you stated you just replaced the fluid. It isnt dirt or dust either, partly because of the same reason, but also because the "dust/dirt" is going to mix with the fluid just as the water will and only change the color, not leave white streaks. I've NEVER seen dust floating in brake fluid and I have been doing brake work for over 20 years. From the sound of it you are seeing air in the fluid. I suggest you bleed the system again, just to be sure.
Billy

Old 07-10-06, 08:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
depending on the sediment it can look tanish or whitish, air would work its way out and looks distinctively different.

looks like you got 1 decade on me doing brakes. Guess it will take me another 10 years to notice if sediment cannot be tann-sh or white-ish, after seeing that it can be

Old 07-11-06, 06:28 PM
I inquired with one of my coworkers today if he had ever heard of this type of thing. He told me that the only thing that MAY make white streaks in the brake fluid would be some kind of petroleum based contamination. Possibly at the slimest of chances moisture, but not likely and NO WAY dirt/dust.
Either way, regardless of what it is, it should be dealt with either removed with a suction gun (turkey baster) or flushed.
Good Luck,
Billy