hesitation problems ?

Old 07-10-06, 09:09 AM
hesitation problems ?

Just bought a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country with 3.8 ltr. automatic transmission and fully loaded. It is under warranty but I figure I would get some opinions. The engine has 60,000 miles on it. all these problems may be related. First, upon driving around home ( city driving), van is hesitant when starting up from a stoplight, like you are pushing down harder and harder on the pedal and it kind of staggers and goes. This is not that noticeable when the air conditioning is off but when the air conditioning is on it is very noticeable. Next, we drove the vehicle through the mountains this past weekend, seem to drove okay ( ac off again) however, during certain uphill runs ( not all)when we steppped on the gas the engine rpm's increased ( around 4000) and I actually had to back off on the gas in order for the vehicle to shift and drop rpm's. other problem's are the tranny can be shifted into drive without putting your foot on the brake and it doesn't get the greatest gas mileage ( about 13 mi./gal. hwy.) . Any thoughts. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
assumuing no check engine light,

Vacuum leak, leaking injectors, you need a tune up, air filter since you probably have the one that is below the resonator and no one checks or replaces though becuase it is such an effort to unscrew the hose on the throttle body and then the clamp on the hose below the resonator, and the 2 10mm or 13 mm bolts on the resonator.

The more I think about it if you have that air filter set up it is probably that. I have seen air filters in vehicles like yours that I could literally plant seeds in thats how much dirt was built up in them.

Check the air filter first

Old 07-10-06, 08:58 PM
Is the check engine light working (it will come on for a few seconds when starting your vehicle)?

If it does work, is it coming on at all while you are experiencing these problems?

If you don't see it light up at all...there are two possible options:

1. The bulb was pulled before you bought the vehicle in order to hide problems the vehicle has.

2. The bulb is burnt out.

Old 07-11-06, 04:18 AM
yes the check engine light does come on for a few seconds when starting, but has never come on yet warning of a problem

Old 07-11-06, 05:06 AM
Then you'll probably have to start with and eliminate the basics such as tuneup related items...spark plugs, air filter, spark plug wires, etc. You could also have a compressor starting to go bad (getting ready to lock up). This can cause the engine to lose power.

Also check the transmission fluid for correct fluid level and see how it looks physically. It should be a nice clear reddish pink color. I doubt it's been changed before and probably could stand to be replaced as well as the transmission filter.

Old 07-13-06, 09:13 AM
I had the van at the dealer and they have narrowed the hesitation to a clogged catalytic converter. They said they disconnected it and engine performance went way up. I don't have it back yet becuase the chevy dealer where we bought it has to send it to the chrysler dealer to fix because it is under warrant with only 60K miles on it. My next question is what is the most common reason the catalytic converter becomes plugged. I feel I am going to run into a situation where the converter will be changed however the dealer probably didn't investigate why it clogged they will just change it out. I don't want to have to go through it again. any thoughts?

Old 07-13-06, 05:46 PM
The biggest reason most catalytic converters fail is due to neglected routine maintenance (spark plugs, ignition wires, air filters, fuel filters, etc.) When a vehicle is in dire need of a tuneup (ie. the spark plugs are worn out), you'll get unburned/raw gasoline going down the exhaust along with a bunch of sooty exhaust gases. The raw gas eats away at the stuff that is in the catalytic converter and the sooty exhaust gases build up in the cat.

Old 07-13-06, 07:54 PM
You ever do any maintenance. Or do you buy cars drive them do the ground in 60kmiles and trade them in to stick things with someone else.

Old 07-13-06, 08:05 PM
I always do maintenance...religiously. Overall, it reduces the total cost of ownership by something like 25%. I think my wife used to refer to my maintenance habits as being "anal-retentive". But then again, I don't break down nearly as much as she does. Gee, I wonder why?!

I'll tell you the part that kills me...people who come if for an oil change that have one or more of the following:

1. Bald tires
2. Check Enging Light on
3. Misfiring due to worn out spark plugs, wires, etc.
4. Leaking any fluid in such quantity that I have to mop up for 10 minutes after they leave the shop.
5. Grinding brakes

What's the point of doing the oil change? Sheesh...they way they're running their car into the ground...and oil change ain't going to help much.

I had a lady come in last week as a matter of fact with the nastiest air filter you've ever seen in your life. It was just a solid lump of oil/grease/dirt/dust. Plus, some animal had built a nest in the box. I showed her the filter and as I was explaining the benefits of a clean air filter, it split in half, hit the floor and made a big SPLAT sound. She just looked at me and said, "Oh, thank you, but just change the oil please." I got out the dust pan, scraped up/scooped up the filter, tried to assemble it into some semblence of a rectangle, and plopped it back in the air filter box. AMAZING...

Old 07-13-06, 08:18 PM
I have had text book air filters like that to, where there is 1"( no exaggeration) of dirt literally rare but really do happen. they say no I don't want to buy one for $10 I don't even shake it off just throw it back in. Screw them to, I am not paying for gas in it. I showed them the filter oh well. This was on a caravan those were bank for money on air filters because most shops won't check them. It takes 30 sec longer than a normal air filter to check the most minivan ones