96 camry - rear lights failure warning

Old 07-10-06, 09:32 AM
96 camry - rear lights failure warning

This warning light came on yesterday. With the help of my son and my wife, we checked all the rear lights, including the third break light (high), without any failure. But, the warning light stays on.

Should I be worried and take it to an auto shop? Is there any way to keep it off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 10:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What does the warning light say exactly?

It says rear brake light failure literally.

Old 07-10-06, 08:54 PM
First check to make sure all the brake lights are working...I know you said you did but sometimes you can miss a bulb. May not hurt to physically remove the tail light assemblies and the third brake light assembly just to make sure they are all working.

If they are working, you may be looking at having to replace the lamp failure sensor. This is a common failure on Toyotas...and an expensive little box too. It's located in the trunk on the left side. Last one I priced was around $250 from the dealer.

Old 07-11-06, 07:06 AM
Thanks for both replies. In Chapter 1-5 (i) of the Owner's Manual, it said that "one or more stop lights are burned out".

I checked the rear lights myself last night. Since it turns on when the break is applied, I triple checked the break lights. All lights are working fine.

$250 for a control is too expensive for this car. Is there a way that I can re-wire to bypass the control and turn the warning off?

Old 07-11-06, 06:07 PM
It would be easier to pull the instrument cluster and remove that warning bulb. That sensor is a printed circuit board and I wouldn't know where to start to bypass it...much less convey it in a forum post.

Plus, you actually have it pretty good. Most of the time when those things go out the brake lights stop working completely. You are fortunate that yours still work. I'd hate to have you mess around with that thing and end up having to buy one if it kills all the brake lights.

Oh, one more thing...did you check all the other bulbs back there? If I'm not mistaken, that is a rear lamp failure indicator meaning all of the rear lamps: license plate lights, parking lights, etc. Check every bulb back there just to be sure.

Old 07-13-06, 09:39 AM
I did checked all rear lights and they are all fine, including the license plate lights.

Is it easy to remove the instrument panel(s)? Are there any diagrams online?

Old 07-13-06, 06:11 PM
No diagrams that I could find...seems like it's a bit of a bear to get out if I remember correctly. I might also suggest a little piece of black electrical tape over the warning light...might be the easiet and cheapest way to go.