92 maxima won't run bad sensors?

Old 07-10-06, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
92 maxima won't run bad sensors?

I have a 92 maxima se vg30de, and it was running perfectly then stopped. The computor throws a 12 code (air flow metering) and I have changed the mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, oxy sensor (>yr ago-for smog). I cleaned all the snap connections in the engine compartment. It is running on 3 cylinders (feel like it anyway) and will run better at idle when the air flow sensor is disconnected (idle smoothes out-runs on 6). It is running very rich-by smell and smoke. Not an obd2 car unfortunately or I'd buy a scanner for it. Thanks ...jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 10:34 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
vacuum leak

Old 07-10-06, 12:11 PM
C
Originally Posted by jeffk
I have a 92 maxima se vg30de, and it was running perfectly then stopped. The computor throws a 12 code (air flow metering) and I have changed the mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, oxy sensor (>yr ago-for smog). I cleaned all the snap connections in the engine compartment. It is running on 3 cylinders (feel like it anyway) and will run better at idle when the air flow sensor is disconnected (idle smoothes out-runs on 6). It is running very rich-by smell and smoke. Not an obd2 car unfortunately or I'd buy a scanner for it. Thanks ...jeff
You can get scanners for ODB I cars, in most cases they are very similar to scanners for ODB II cars. If the wiring under the hood checks out clean and you're really sure the new MAF sensor hasn't gone bad again, try disconnecting the battery and clearing the codes. Have you checked all the fuses?

Christopher

Old 07-10-06, 08:31 PM
Was the problem with the air flow meter? A code 12 indicates that the ECU detected an open or shorted circuit. Yes, the most common cause is the meter itself, but you can't rule out wiring or a bad ECU itself.

Also, where did you get your replacement air flow meter from? Was it used or remanufactured? I've gotten bad reman air flow meters straight out of the box.

Are you saying the car is STILL throwing a code 12?

Old 07-11-06, 10:50 AM
J
I bought a reman air flow sensor @ kragens (1 yr guar.) and the the car ran fine for about 9mo., then wouldn't start (almost ran @idle), checked comp. codes (12 showed) so got exchange air flow under warr., found the fuel pump had gone bad, replaced, and car ran. Then, now as described above, Thinking it could be wiring or ecu cause it will run with air meter disconnected better @ idle than with connected-too rich. I replaced the motor 18 mo.s ago and it wouldn't run if the air flow was disconnected then. Thanks everyone for your input. Couldn't find any vacuum leaks and haven't found any inexpensive scanners to plug into the consult (propietary) connector. THe local mech with one, will diag for $85 but hasn't called me back to schedule appointment (don't think he's interested).

Old 07-11-06, 04:39 PM
Well, if you are getting code 12 again, it sounds like that reman air flow meter probably went bad again...hey, the first one only lasted 9 months, right? Gotta love those things...

Most cars are pretty accurate at diagnosing themselves. If code 12 is definitely popping up then that's probably where the problem is.

You can do the diagnostic yourself on that AFM:

Check the input signal. Start the engine, let it warm, and then backprobe terminal "b"...you should be getting .8 - 1.5V at idle.

If you don't get those values, check for dust or damage to the hot wire in the AFM. You can clean the dust off with an electrical parts aerosol spray.