Dodge ram 5.2l stalls when ac is on

Old 07-11-06, 06:22 AM
Dodge ram 5.2l stalls when ac is on

My RAM 1500 318 ci (5.2L) will stall when the ac is on....sometimes. The idle circuit can't cvatch the low tach after letting my foot off the throttle. It does fine sitting, ideling. It is only when I let the throttle off, the tach goes down to 300 or so RPM and sometimes, it stalls. Is this an idle adjust problem? Or firty gas filter? or AC idle increse circuit? Or plugs, cap, rotor problem? Or?
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure sounds like the idle increase circuit. It is supposed to compensate for the increased load on the engine when the air conditioning compressor is running.

Old 07-11-06, 04:30 PM
try to clean the throttle body first and see if it's helps, you may want to remove the IAC motor and clean it too, if you remove the IAC motor for cleaning, donot push or pull the plunger, you may damage the motor if do so.

Old 07-11-06, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar
Sure sounds like the idle increase circuit. It is supposed to compensate for the increased load on the engine when the air conditioning compressor is running.
I believe there are limits to how much a vehicle is able to adapt though. If the vehicle's plugs, wires, and cap/rotor are in poor condition, the vehicle may not be able to make up for it when the AC comes on. If you are behind in your maintenance schedule, I suggest you start there.

Old 07-11-06, 06:17 PM
What year truck? So we know if we are dealing with EFI or carb. Also, is your Check engine light on? Does it come on? Has it been on recently, for any reason?
BIlly

Search this Thread