changing rear coil spring 2001 tauras

Old 07-11-06, 10:24 AM
changing rear coil spring 2001 tauras

can somebody please tell me whats involved in changing a rear coil spring in a ford taurus? i recently took my vehicle for inspection and they found a problem with it. they want a ridiculous amount to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 05:03 PM
Arrow

1. Remove the parcel tray.
2. Loosen the nuts.
3. Remove the wheel and tire.
4. Remove the stabilizer bar.
5. Remove the bolt and detach the rear wheel brake hose.
6. Remove the nut, washer and bushing. Detach the tension strut from the spindle.
7. Remove the pinch bolt. Detach the spindle from the strut and spring assembly.
8. Partially lower the vehicle.
9. Remove the nuts and the strut and spring assembly.
10. Mark the location of the strut to top mount for assembly reference.
11. Using a suitable spring compressor, compress the rear springs and unload the strut mounting bracket. WARNING: The strut and spring assembly is under spring tension. Attempting to disassemble the strut and spring assembly without compressing the spring can result in PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
12. Using a 10mm six point deep well socket, hold the strut rod in place while removing the nut.
13. Remove the cupped washer and the strut mounting bracket.
14. Remove the dished washer and the rear spring.
15. Inspect the rear spring to make sure the rear spring damper and the rear spring damper retainer are correctly positioned. Install the rear spring damper and damper retainer.
16. Install the rear spring and the dished washer. Compress the spring using an appropriate spring compressor.
17. Make sure the rear spring is correctly positioned in the strut mounting bracket and rear spring seat lower mounting insulator. The end of the spring must be located withing 10mm of the step in the strut spring seat. Install step in the spring seat pocket. Install strut assembly.
18. Using a 10mm six point deep well socket, hold the shock absorber rod in place while installing the nut.
19. Remove the spring compressor.
20. Position strut and spring assembly and install new nuts.
21. Partially raise the vehicle.
22. Position the spindle on the strut and install a new pinch bolt.
23. Position the tension strut in the spindle and install the bushing, the washer and a new nut.
24. Position the rear wheel brake hose and install the bolt.
25. Install the stabilizer bar.
26. Install the wheel and tire assembly.
27. Tighten the nuts.
28. Install the parcel tray.

Total time for repair using Ford's service manual: 2.4 HOURS
Average cost of new strut: $99.95

PS. This is just for ONE SIDE...I recommend replacing struts in pairs...

At my shop you would be out around $458.89 for replacing both struts...and I'm the cheapest guy around. I called my buddy who manages a national tire and auto service retail chain and he said they would do that job for $579.19 (both struts).

Hope this helps!

Old 07-11-06, 08:02 PM
Keep your receipt in case there is a recall. The rear springs are being investigated by NHTSA.
More info is here: http://www.wdetfm.org/article.php?id=482

There is already a recall on the front springs.

Old 07-12-06, 08:18 AM
interesting

Wonder if this recall goes for my 2000 Ford Taurus I do not live were there is salt on the roads and I am the 3rd owner.How long are recalls good for?

Old 07-12-06, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
Wonder if this recall goes for my 2000 Ford Taurus I do not live were there is salt on the roads and I am the 3rd owner.How long are recalls good for?
2000 and 2001 is on the recall. Here is the front spring recall with the details:
http://www.automotive.com/2000/49/fo...lls/51043.html

I've seen lots of posts on websites and taurus forums from people having their springs break on both the front and rear and their tires getting ripped apart as a result.

Old 07-12-06, 06:34 PM
dont see the back

I looked for the rear recall but did not see any items on it.All other recalls have been complied with on my Taurus however if there is one on the rear springs I would like to know about it,But thanks for the good link. however they might just put a fix on it and leave the old springs and beef up the spring seat.

Old 07-12-06, 07:35 PM
There is no recall on the rear springs. Maybe there will be later. Just the front for now.