1989 Buick Inquiry (again...SIGH!)

Old 07-12-06, 08:46 PM
Unhappy 1989 Buick Inquiry (again...SIGH!)

Well, I've had a new fuel filter, a new pressure regulator, and the throttle body cleaned and STILL the car takes several tries before it will fire up. This is only when it's cold. It's okay the rest of the day. It was analyzed on a computer and no codes showed up either. The battery is good. I'm out of ideas and I can't afford to keep doing things that are unnecessary. Does anyone have anymore ideas?
Also, a side question for Dav or other mechanics...what would YOU charge to clean a throttle body? I wanna see what's an average price.
thanx,
janet

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 09:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
$30 to clean throttle body I would charge.

you need to check if your fuel pressure is holding after you turn your vehicle off and if it does how long.

Old 07-13-06, 02:48 AM
it is very likely to be a fuel pressure related problem or a bad coil if it has the one piece coil pack, but in order for a shop to diagnose the problem they will probably have to see it occur you will probably have to leave it overnight if the problem only occurs at the first start of the day so they can actuall do a fuel pressure test while the car is being hard to start, a weak coil would show up on a scope usually hot or cold but a shop may be hesitant at replacing the coil when you are not having any other driveability problems.

Old 07-13-06, 05:50 AM
hi,
I was charged $69.99 to get the throttle body cleaned. I thought that seemed real steep.
Bejay,
I will do what you said. Is the coil an expensive problem to get fixed??? Thanks a lot!
janet

Last edited by janetlee; 07-13-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 03:58 PM
C'mon guys, please! Would a coil thingy be expensive to get fixed?
janet

Old 07-13-06, 06:43 PM
20-53 bucks

I looked it up for you at Napa auto parts depending what engine you have a coil is 20 -53 bucks.
Go to google and look it up to verify it.

Old 07-13-06, 07:14 PM
Try changing the fuel pump relay. Your particular vehicle will still start with a bad fuel pump relay as the fuel pump has a backup. If the fuel pump relay goes out, the vehicle will still start off the oil pressure switch...but not until you build up enough oil pressure to trip the switch...which is exactly why it may be taking a long time to start.

There's a big difference between cleaning the throttle body and getting a fuel injection system cleaning. To clean the throttle body, you simply remove the intake air tube and spray throttle body cleaner on the throttle plate, open the throttle plate and spray some back in there, wipe it out, etc. Some places do a fuel injection system cleaning (which actually won't really clean a throttle plate real well) where they hook up like an IV bottle of cleaner to intake and let it slowly drip in there as the car is running. This has an added benefit though of helping to clean the plenum, injectors, and valves. To make a long answer short though: $25 for a throttle body cleaning and $50 for the fuel injection system cleaning. Sounds like you may have gotten the latter.

I'll give you an exact price on a coil replacement job (parts and labor) if you'll give me the model and engine size.

Old 07-13-06, 07:30 PM
Is the 89 regal the square box like the grand national or is it the body style after.

Old 07-13-06, 08:03 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by davzack
I'll give you an exact price on a coil replacement job (parts and labor) if you'll give me the model and engine size.
1989 BUICK ELECTRA PARK AVENUE
6 Cylinders 231 C 3.8L FI

Thanks Dav!

Snuckers,
You asked:Is the 89 regal the square box like the grand national or is it the body style after.
I have no idea, but I can tell you that it is a gorgeous sleek car! The back end may be considered "boxy" to some, but the front is tapered. I prefer this body style to the newer models by far! Thanks for your help!

Michael and Bejay,
Thank you both for the info!

Thanks to you all for being so good to give free advice. I am going to print up the info so I can talk to the mechanic about it next time!
janet

Old 07-13-06, 08:10 PM
I asked if it was the square box because that would let me know what coil setup you have off the top of my head. I know body styles better than years.

your looking at around $45 (autozone) and about 10min of time to install, if you have the ignition system I am thinking of book time will probably be half hour

Old 07-13-06, 08:10 PM
Labor Time: 1.0 hour
Part: MY cost on coil from NAPA 65.89

So, figure a part markup of anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0 times the cost of the part and $60 - $85 average on labor and you should end up somewhere around $150 - $215.

Old 07-14-06, 02:55 AM
for 69.99 would suspect you got an intake cleaning wich probably included cleaning the throttle body.
would not be guessing and trying a fuel pump relay or any part for that matter you can easily have alot more in parts than what a shop would charge to diagnose the problem if they have the car when it acts up.
probably a fairly good estimate on the coil from davzack if the shop went by the book it takes about 15 minutes to change the coil but alot of shops will not charge you an hours labor for a 15 minute job.

Old 07-14-06, 08:36 PM
Well Guys,
I'm sorry to say that today,I called the mechanic that cleaned the throttle body and asked him if he also did a fuel injection cleaning when he cleaned the throttle body. I explained that I like to keep a record of everything I have done to my car, along with the date of service (this is true). He said that he did NOT do so. He started saying something to the effect that gasoline is the best cleaner there is for that and although some people claim it's necessary to clean the injectors, it usually ain't so, cuz the gas keeps them clean...whether or not what he's saying is correct, I'm very disappointed that he charged me $70 to clean the throttle body only. I honestly have nothing against paying ANY worker a fair price for his/her labor and cost and I know that mechanics have to make a living as do we all, but that is extreme! Anyhow, I probably won't use him again after getting gouged like that. BTW, the car is now cranking on the second try...on Monday, I hope to call my regular mechanic and discuss what you have told me to have checked. He is an honest man at least!
thanx!
janet