;87 Ranger won't start after recent rains.

Old 07-13-06, 07:51 AM
;87 Ranger won't start after recent rains.

I have a nice little pickup for doing odd jobs. About three weeks ago I parked it in the backyard meanwhile we got a series of storms that dumped 6 or 8 inches of rain now it won't start. I suspect something has gotten wet since it ran fine when I parked it. The battery is less than a year old and seems to spin the engine fine. I tried starting fluid it didn't attempt to fire. After dark two nights I took a spark plug wire off and had my wife try to start it - didn't seem to see any spark or any sparks jumping around in the engine compartment. What should I be checking next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-06, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Jack R. Jones
The battery is less than a year old and seems to spin the engine fine. I tried starting fluid it didn't attempt to fire. After dark two nights I took a spark plug wire off and had my wife try to start it - didn't seem to see any spark or any sparks jumping around in the engine compartment. What should I be checking next?
I'd take off the distributor cap and dry out any water under the cap. If this Ford still has an external coil I'd dry out all the wiring to the coil too. If the cap has an integral coil, I'd try to access the coil and look for water there as well. I suppose the Ignition Control Module could've gotten swamped too, but that's really rare. I'd check the cap, rotor and coils first.

Christopher

Old 07-13-06, 05:41 PM
You can also use electrical parts aerosol cleaner to help get the water out of the distributor...make sure you take off the rotor button (and sometimes there's a little plastic cover underneath it) so you can get at the electrical parts underneath. You also might want to consider leaving the cap off during the day to let it air out.

If it turns out it was water in the distributor, then you should consider running a bead of clear silicone around the cap edge before replacing it to help keep moisture out.

By the way, what engine is in it?

Old 07-13-06, 06:14 PM
It's a spray called Wire Dryer
Pop the dist cap and dry it up under there

Originally Posted by davzack
By the way, what engine is in it?
It could be a carb'd 2 liter, or the FI 2.3
(there was even a diesel offered, but I don't recall ever seeing one)
Which one could make a difference in your next step
They have slightly different ignitions and associated problems, so it would help to know

Old 07-13-06, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know exactly what your looking for its called WD-40. Bet you didn't know its not a lubricant. WD stands for water displacer. Finally the first person you use WD-40 for what it was made for.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question155.htm

You can learn about wd-40 here