Stalling starting problem on a 1986 Mercury Grand Marque

Old 07-13-06, 11:25 AM
Stalling starting problem on a 1986 Mercury Grand Marque

I have a 1986 Mercury Grand Marque 5.0L with 172,000 miles. About 10 days ago I had gone about 7 miles and stopped at an intersection. When I started forward the car stalled. The car restarted immediately and I continued on my trip with not other problems. Two days later I was about three miles into a trip, stopped at an intersection and when I started forward the car stalled again. This time it would crank but not restart. I didn't have time to check anything so I pushed it into a drive way and let it sit overnight. The next morning the car started fine and I drove it for two more days. The same thing happened again this time I could check and had no spark. I changed the ignition module and the pickup coil. By the way, all three days the air temp was in the 70's. Last night I drove about 12 miles and as I stopped it stalled, but would still crank. Within an hour it restarted, the temp this time was in the high 80's. Any ideas as to what else I should check?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-06, 12:21 PM
Just trying to be clear here, as '86 was still kind of a crossover era for the five liter engines
You've got the SEFI engine with the TFI ignition and EEC-IV computer?

(as opposed to the CFI engine, or a Duraspark ignition)

Also to be clear, you changed the TFI module and the PIP (hall sensor inside the distributer)?
...or did you mean the Ignition Coil rather than Pick-up Coil?

Antway, if it's a SEFI or CFI, with the EEC-IV computer, pull the codes first
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

After that, if you are sure you have no spark during no-start and it's not a fuel issue, I'd check the Ignition Coil with a volt/ohm-meter

If you have the Duraspark Ignition things will be a little different, but I'd still check the Ignition Coil before continuing

More involved testing of the TFI can be found here
http://www.geocities.com/mt83rd/TFI_Test.html

I know you said you replaced the Module, but as you can see, there's more involved in that ignition system, and almost everything can be checked

Old 07-13-06, 01:08 PM
It is the SEFI engine with the TFI ignition and EEC-IV computer?

I changed the TFI module and the Ignition Coil (on fender).

Old 07-13-06, 01:31 PM
Ah, I see
Usually I'd recommend replacing the PIP (Profile Ignition Pick-up) along with the TFI module, as often that's the intermittent problem rather than the just plain died and won't restart problem
(But I wouldn't replace either w/o testing first )

Pull the codes, you may get a intermittent PIP code
Do the KOEO, and KOER tests in the codes link
Post anything you come up with
If you unhooked the battery, it may not have any
(Why we pull the codes first)

You may want to continue with the other tests in the TFI link, and write down what you come up with
It may appear rather quickly, or it may take some digging