1988 buick electra Air Conditioner

Old 07-13-06, 05:34 PM
1988 buick electra Air Conditioner

Can someone please help me ? I have a 1988 buick electra estate wagon. Overheated the other day. now AC doesn't work. Yes i was running AC at the time car overheated. fan still comes on but compressor won't ingage. Worked great up until that point.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-06, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well I would first jumper the clutch cycling switch which is found on the low side and see if te clutch engages. then i would check the system pressure

Last edited by snuckers99; 07-13-06 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 09:00 PM
I forgot to mention earlier I allready tried that.doesn't engage. Like i said it was working great before the car overheated. I am wandering is there some kind of a safety relay or something like that when the car overheats, i have no idea.

Old 07-14-06, 03:17 AM
Jump the compressor straight to your battery, the clutch should make a loud click sound, if it doesnt, the electromagnet in your compressor is probably fried. Be careful when doing this, if your compressor has shorted out, you could have a closed circuit, allowing the current to flow unchecked. So dont use too big of a wire. 16 guage or so should be enough.

After you do that, post up here whether it engauges or not, then we will try to help you further.

Old 07-14-06, 11:01 AM
The plug going into the compressor has 2 wires how do i know which is which i don't want to jump the wrong wire and fry it myself.

Old 07-14-06, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You jumper the connector on the compressor. If you don't want to horse around with what he is saying there is an easier test. Jumper the clutch cycling pressure switch. Then use a test light and voltmeter to see if the connector to the compressor is getting power.

Since this is an electrical problem I would need the schematics to be of anymore help. All I can say is check fuses and relays.

Old 07-14-06, 10:50 PM
Okay tried that and no no power on the plug, Have not tried jumping compressor straight from battery, because I am not sure how to hook jumper wire to compressor, do i hook one to hot and the other to ground or just jump hot wire and compressor is ground or what?

Old 07-15-06, 12:52 AM
if you have a dark green wire and black wire at compressor the green is power the black is ground, if you dont have power at the dark green wire with the a/c on and engine running would check all fuses if you have power check for ground at the black wire if no ground check for ground with the low pressure switch jumpered if you have ground with the low pressure switch jumpered suspect it is low on freon.

Old 07-15-06, 02:42 PM
Okay i check for power at the green wire, there is none. there is ground at the black wire. didn't have to jump low pressure switch. I checked every fuse in fuse box. all are good. That brings me back to my first question, does anyone know if maybe the car is equipt with some kind of safty device or something that kills power to the AC when the engine over heats? I am lost.

Old 07-16-06, 08:45 PM
dont believe the a/c would shut off due to oveheating but it is controlled by the ecm and it could be programmed to shut off the compressor if it was overheating or under certain conditions such as high pressure on the power steering circuit at idle is common on many 4 and 6 cylinder cars but there is no reason for it to not work normally once the car cooled off.
have you checked the relay, suspect you may have a switch or even ecm problem may need to have the vehicle scanned to see if the ecm is receiving the a/c on request.

Old 07-17-06, 09:37 AM
Any idea were the relay might be found?

Old 07-17-06, 08:35 PM
okay i found relay however there is no power on any of the wires going into it. So " I don't know how bright of an idea this is" but just for kicks I jumped a wire from hot wire on fan over to wire going into relay and bingo compressor kicks in. Is this okay to run it like that for now, I realize temperture control wont work with it hooked up in this manner. but want i am wandering is if it will be okay for compressor to run continuos like this, when i turn off fan compressor also shuts off so it is not just running by its self. any ideas thanks

Old 07-18-06, 03:32 AM
the a/c relay should have power at the black and light green wire when the a/c is selected on the control panel and the key is on if you dont have power at these wires and the blower motor is working you probably need a new heater/a/c control unit.
you could probably get by jumpering a power source to the compressor so you would have a/c for now but jumpering it to the blower motor power wire is not a good idea as it is reduced voltage on all speeds but high and may not be sufficient voltage to keep the compressor engaged on any speed but high, you could jumper it to the fused 25 amp a/c fuse in the fuse block as this is the fuse that would normally power the a/c compressor and the lower speeds of the blower motor.
the a/c would work normally other than you would have to disconnect the power wire when you are done using the a/c you wouldnt be bypassing the low pressure switch so it would still cycle on and off when needed based on low side pressure.

Old 07-18-06, 11:11 AM
You say AC would work normaly jumpered as such. Do you mean the temperature control will work to or no?

Old 07-18-06, 12:43 PM
yes temp control would work as it just relies on the blend door to get warmer air.