Need Tranny Advice

Old 07-14-06, 07:42 PM
Need Tranny Advice

I installed a rebuilt 700R4 transmission in an 1988 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L pickup approximately 4 months ago. I purchased the rebuild and the firm I purchased the transmission from is no longer in business so there's no warranty on that end. However, I warrantied the transmission to my customer for 12 months/12,000 miles.

The customer called yesterday saying the transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st until approximately 30-40 mph and when it did it would shift hard. I towed the vehicle in and confirmed his symptoms. I checked the fluid level and condition and it was at the proper level and as clean and pink as the day I put it in. There was no apparent contamination at all that I could see.

A local tranmission shop (I have no transmission people in-house and my personal internal transmission knowledge is limited.) said they thought it could be a problem with the valve body.

I inspected the throttle-valve cable and saw where it was starting to come apart where it connected at the transmission. I replaced the cable and it now shifts as smooth as butter.

I called the customer and told him what we had done and that the repair was not covered under warranty. I charged him $115 for a 19 mile tow, the cable, and labor. I believed I described the way the transmission was now shifting as: "The tranmission shifts so smoothly you can't even feel it going from 1-2."

So, what's the problem you ask?

Well, the customer called me back and said the transmission still had a problem. He says the reason it feels like it's not even shifting from 1-2 is because it isn't. He says there's no first gear at all...and he's bringing it back in the morning.

SO, here's my question...it's my understanding that the way this transmission operates is that if 1st gear was truely gone...the truck wouldn't move an inch. In other words, the transmission in not capable of starting out in 2nd gear. Am I correct? I test drove the vehicle after the repair and it felt just fine to me...would accelerate hard and shift great.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 09:43 PM
^I Need A Bump^

Old 07-14-06, 10:09 PM
my knowledge of trans internals is also limited, but I believe on the 700r4, the throttle pressure cable can be adjusted to adjust shift quality. on the newer computer controlled trans(4L60 and such), if there is a trans problem, limp-in mode is second gear only. it will move very sluggishly on take-off and top out around 35mph.

Old 07-15-06, 06:12 AM
Well I'm off to work to go meet this guy. I'll let you know what happens. Anybody else with any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I still need to know if it's possbile to go forward at all if 1st gear is "broke/out" on a 700R4 transmission...or will you just sit there? Please help if you have internal transmission knowledge.