brake shoes

Old 07-16-06, 06:29 AM
brake shoes

A friend of mine had a transmission installed by his friend(it runs well so I assume he can do brakes). He offered to have his friend do my rear brakes at my house. (2001 Nisan Sentra 1.8 GXE). I guess he will drop the drums off to be turned or I'll likely get a pulsating-right?
In my day I knew the different types of shoes re: quality but now I need to find a shoe that is not going to grind after a while but not cost top dollar for this little car with 61,000 on it.
What should I buy for him to put on?
Also, I read where a person could not find the adjusters for this model/year car. I was used to a slot where you turned a wheel + in some cases tapped the brake as you backed up.
Could you also let me know about this adjustment on this car.
Asking for a lot of answers so will appreciate any you can answer.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 07:44 AM
The drums only need to be resurfaced if it shows signs or scoring, partial wear, or stepped wear. Otherwise, you can simply finish the surface with some 120-150 emery paper. (In most cases, you don't have to have the drums resurfaced.)

In my opinion, NAPA's brake line is a very good choice. Their AE line will run you about $35 for this particular vehicle. Quality of rear drum brakes is not as critical as front or rear disc brakes. They don't suffer the extremes disc brakes do so any mid to high grade shoe will suffice.

This vehicle has an adjuster just like vehicle's of old. Simply rotate the screw to adjust the shoes out. You can also adjust the shoes out even more once the drums are on by pulling up on the emergency brake repeatedly or you can remove a plug found on the backing plate to gain access to the adjuster.

Old 07-16-06, 08:34 AM
brake shoes

You did a comprehensive job of answering all of my questions-thank you.

Old 07-17-06, 06:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by davzack
In my opinion, NAPA's brake line is a very good choice. Their AE line will run you about $35 for this particular vehicle. Quality of rear drum brakes is not as critical as front or rear disc brakes. They don't suffer the extremes disc brakes do so any mid to high grade shoe will suffice.
His opinion is only good for semi-metalic pads, rotors, and drums. I am not sure if the deal went through for napa and akebono yet. Akebono is the only quality ceramic brake out as of right now.

the other brands know why their ceramics suck, but they say it costs to much to make them correctly, cost to much in terms of engineering because they would have to do each vehicle individual instead of running 1 or 2 formulations for the entire product line.

Old 07-17-06, 12:06 PM
brake shoes

Can you help me understand so I can get a 1/2 way decent shoe w/o paying top shelf. I don't know about names etc.
Do I just get semi metallic ceramic or ???
Besides Napa which is usually expensive,there is a Pep Boys near me and a Car quest too. I'm going to keep the car for about two years but don't want 'noisy' brakes.

Old 07-17-06, 01:17 PM
unfortuanatly no matter what brand you go with it is possible they may make noise in the future most semi metallic pads and shoes can regardless of brand, and some noise at certain times is considered a normal condition wagner and raybestos are probably the most well known brand names in brake pads and shoes and considering what you want to spend either one of the brands above would probably work fine, most of the parts stores have there own cheaper brand name even though they may be made by one of the above manufacturers they are not usually of the same quality.

Old 07-17-06, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
with shoes get the raybestos.

If your are getting pads for the front and they have to be ceramic get akebono. They are quietest and most rotor friendly, with literally almost no dust other brands try to claim that. Never had a come back on akebono yet for noise.

Old 07-18-06, 04:31 AM
brake shoes

I need shoes for the rear but don't know what 'words' to use when buying them.

Old 07-18-06, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
"I need a set of rear shoes for a 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8 GXE".

I think you're being over-analyzed.

My $.02 worth.