2000 Chev Cavalier, AC blows hot air when idling

Old 07-16-06, 11:37 AM
2000 Chev Cavalier, AC blows hot air when idling

****PROBLEM SOLVED SEE LAST POST****

2000 Chevy Cavalier, 160K miles, automatic, AC compressor crapped and was replaced by professional at 100K miles. 2.2L 4-cyl.

The AC will only blow cold air when the vehicle is in motion. At idle (in any gear, P, D, N, R) it only blows ambient air (ie, hot here in Charleston SC). Even when the engine is revved up high, the air temp stays hot. Does not seem to change with different gears or engine speeds--- only when I'm driving (haven't checked it in reverse, didn't think of that).

When I start moving, the air slowly cools and, once over 30 mph or so, the air is NICE AND COLD as it should be.

The volume of air coming from the vents never changes. Only the temp.

When I stop at a light or in park, there is often a hissing sound coming from the dash area, accompanied by the hot air. It's progressively worsened over the past two weeks.

Again, the volume of air never changes, just the temp, and when I get moving, the temp begins to drop and the AC cools just as it should. This means I am now taking the long, "scenic" route home from work every 98-stinking-degree day.

Before I spend the cash taking this to a pro, I thought I'd give it a shot. What sayest thou?

Last edited by mako; 07-16-06 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Track down the source of the hissing sound. It may well be a vacuum line that is loose or has a hole in it. That could allow your temperature modulating door in the heat duct to swing to the heat coil when idling and to the air conditioning coil when the car is under load.

Old 07-16-06, 01:25 PM
Are your cooling fans running? If they are not working, the freon is not losing enough energy as it passes through the condenser.

goldstar has a good point too, it could be a vaccuum problem or something with your blend door.

Old 07-16-06, 01:33 PM
Being a little naive on AC components and the ductwork/control systems in the dash, how do I go about checking either of those?

Old 07-16-06, 06:57 PM
zzzz1486 WAS DEAD ON THE MONEY!!

I checked the cooling fan (only 1) and it never comes on.

Fuse was fine.

Replaced the relay, no changed.

Replaced the fan motor, WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

Thanks zzzz for that reminder, I'd forgotten to check the fan.

Question, though, why didn't the vehicle overheat in heavy traffic? We do get in some slow jams, yet the temp never went over the normal operating temp. ??????

Thanks again!!!

Matt