vw ac compressor

Old 07-16-06, 07:28 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vw ac compressor

I have a 97 VW Cabrio that I am needing to change the compressor, the drier, and the expansion valve I am trying to find out if that is something that I can do Myself or if I need to take it to a shop I have ordered a Chiltons on the car and I am going to look at it My problem is dirt and evaporation in the ac lines once they are broke any input would be greatly appreciated one other thing I am not even sure where that drier is I am thinking it might be under the dash but I cant swear to it if it is that would explain the 6 hours labor the mechanic wanted any input please help thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 07:51 PM
The refrigerant needs to be evacuated and it is illegal to vent it so it probably would have to be taken to someone who is certified by the EPA to recover refrigerant. Nothing to stop you from doing the work after that but you will need a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum before recharging and also manifold gauges and some other stuff to recharge. Unless you have exact instructions on the whole procedure and feel comfortable doing it it may be better to have it done as you can damage the system if it si not done correctly. The shop manual will probbaly have the correct instructions - the chiltons may not (I have the chiltons for my car and it has very little info on servicing the a/c).

Old 07-17-06, 05:21 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the compressor, drier and expansion are all easy to change. After you change them(procedures will be in chiltons), you can buy a vacuum pump for around $110, and an a/c charge hose with a gauge($25) and then fill with freon. You just paid for all the tools the first time you used them, so if you don't want them anymore you can give them to me, or store them for later use not that you want to do that anyway.

shops normally charge min of $130 in my area just because A/C is going to be on the ticket. Then parts and freon, labor are extra.

Unless you can find a small honest shop and be like I just need a vacuum pulled, he may do that for really cheap