Clutch cable keeps snapping

Old 07-18-06, 01:19 AM
Clutch cable keeps snapping

My clutch cable has snapped 5 times in 11 months . The clutch pedal has been replaced and there don't seem to be any kinks or bends in the cable.

I believe the cable is in the process of snapping yet again. I can feel the cable is under strain when changing gears as it feels 'heavy' and it 'creeks'.

Any suggestions on what the problem may be would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 04:35 AM
probably clutch related maybe pressure plate problem putting excessive strain on the cable.

Old 07-18-06, 04:54 AM
Thanks bejay. Do you think the pressure plate could have gotten damaged the first time the cable snapped?

Old 07-18-06, 05:16 AM
probably not, it is probably why the first one and the ones after kept breaking as a pressure plate can break and require alot more force to operate the clutch more than the cable is really desinged to handle.
suggest you see a shop tell them the history of the car and they can go from there some models have an adjustable cable but it would have to be way off to ever cause the cable to break but they could check it but if it requires more effort to push in the clucth than it used to before these cables started breaking suspect it is related to a pressure plate problem.

Old 07-18-06, 05:23 AM
Thanks! Much appreciated. Will take it to them today.

Old 07-20-06, 09:05 AM
What kind of Car?

I had a '78 vw bus that was tough on clutch cables. One problem is that all vw parts come from Brazil or Mexico where quality is not an issue. The other issue was a broken tube that the clutch cable ran through that had a bend in it. The books said this bend was to provide “pre-load for the clutch.” I never could figure out what “pre-load” was, but the clutch pedal always felt odd.

I never fixed it since I could drive without the clutch, since the tranny was fully synchronized. I could start in reverse to back out. Turn off the engine to shift to 1st , restart the bus and then shift up, down or into neutral without the clutch.

The clutch was hard to adjust. I think 3/4" of free travel was required before the clutch would start to operate but it was hard to judge.

Can anyone explain pre-load?

Old 07-20-06, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't preload the clutch pedal. It should have a small a amount of freeplay.

As for the clutch cable breaking are you replacing the housing to along with the cable. The inside of the housing could be scraping the cable.

I always run the cable through antiseize and then put it in the housing. Or if its the kind that you can't pull the cable out of the housing besure to put graphite oil down the housing.

Is this the stock pressure plate or an after market heavy duty pressure plate.