2002 Gr Caravan A/C Problem

Old 07-18-06, 06:38 PM
2002 Gr Caravan A/C Problem

I have a 02 Grand Caravan Sport, Handicapped Converted van with an A/C problem. The left (driver side)and the two center/ left ducts blow warm air while the center right and far right ducts blow cold 75% of the time. When I took it to be repaired the guys at the shop told me it was what they called the H-Block? Located on the lower passenger side firewall. And that the repair would be around $750. More if the diverter in the dash needs repaired...

Does this sound correct or am I being taken....I used to turn wrenches before my accident (why I have a converted van) which was back in 96'...What is an H-Block and can it be repaired? Is this the going rate for a repair of this nature?

On another note...does anyone have a schematic for a power sliding door (schlep cable) on a 2002 Grand Caravan?

Thanks in advance. Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 08:54 PM
Hey Chuck, The H Block is actually an H Valve, or an expansion valve. Different people call it different things. Essentially the same part. The question I have, is the "cold" air actually cold or not? If you are getting cold air then your expansion valve is functioning properly. The reason you arent getting cold air from all of your vents has to be something in the evaporator box that directs the air. A Blend door or a mode door that isnt functioning properly.

Let me ask you.... What is the problem with the sliding door on your 2002? Does it stick after popping open? and only open maybe a foot? If so, I can tell you that there is an open in the track wiring harness. We see that alot, even on the newer vans.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 07-19-06, 09:20 PM
Hi Billy...Thanks for the reply. The air coming out of the outlets that are "working" is cool. I would venture a guess that this van needs re-charged...the ol' fellow I bought it off of never used the A/C, I have had it for 9 months and the past week and a half was the first time I have used the A/C. The blend/ mode door sounds like the ticket. I think I can handle that from my chair. Then pay the price to have it charged.

The side door operates off of the keyfob...it is supposed to open the door and when the computer from Braun Corp. (Handicap Conversion folks) senses a voltage spike, meaning the door is at the end of it's travel, then the ramp is deployed at the same time a kneeling mechanism pulls the chassis and frame together to lower the back of the van to a level position. The ramp spikes and shuts down along with the kneeling mechanism at the end of it's travel. But NOW, when I press the keyfob the door does not open...but if I open the door manually after pressing the keyfob the ramp will deploy and kneel does it's thing. Your guess remains with the harness after this info. ?

Thanks again Billy...it is Hot hot hot in Pgh, Pa.....

Old 07-20-06, 10:15 AM
OK. You are talking about the rear door(hatch)??? I thought you were referring to the sliding doors. If it is a conversion then all bets are off. Electrical diagnosis on those things are a veritable nightmare. There is no rhymn or reason to how, were or what they do to convert these things. The best bet there is to take the vehicle to the company that installed the conversion and have them fix it.
Sorry...
Its HOT here in Winc. Too!!!
Billy