Best place to order Volvo radiator?

Old 07-18-06, 07:15 PM
Best place to order Volvo radiator?

My 1996 Volvo 850 GLT has a small crack in the radiator. Where would any of you shop for the lowest price on Volvo parts online?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
other than a local parts store (will need to order) look up radiator or automotive radiator in your local yellowpages

Old 07-18-06, 07:24 PM
your looking around $174

That price was from autozone online only

Old 07-18-06, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the input bro. I have noticed the rough range of $180 and up from a google search. I found a place online around my area and I am going to call my buddy,who I believe is still in the automotive repair biz,to see what he says.
I wanted to get an idea of rads price before I start to call around to see what ppl will charge me.

Knowledge is power, I say.

Old 07-18-06, 07:38 PM
usually knowledge is power.

But in the auto industry with ridiculous marks ups. Hook ups is power. If your really tight with some of the right people you can easily get %50 off and they still profit off the sale.

Everything from the parts stores especially dealer is marked up enough to buy 3min rare -10 more after one is sold, that is after retail price, not list, if you know the right things to say you can usually get the price lower. I can always work parts dept prices $30-50 below what they said the first time you got quoted you need to be able to read a person and know what to say on the fly to get it down.

I used to set prices from whole sale for parts. I was able to go to sleep at night saying to my self everyone is richer than me they can easily afford the mark up.

Old 07-19-06, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Try www.radiators.com. Last one I replaced ('95 Camry) came from them. Good price and delivered right to the door.

Old 07-27-06, 03:47 PM
Update:
So I took my car to a friend who runs a tote-the-note lot and explained to him about my situation.
He said he would have his mechanics fix it for me at cost. He was kind enough to loan me a vehicle for the time being. I was greatful for that but the SUV had no AC and in bad shape.
So it has been 2 days now and I called him to check up on the repairs and he told me that his mechanic said it would be one to two days before the raditator came back from the rad shop. I had a gut feeling so I went to where my car was and inspected the progress.
To my surprise the car has not been touched! The radiator was still in the car and I called my buddy and told him. He says the mechanics pulled the radiator yesterday and I told him back that I was at the shop and no one has touched my car yet!!!

Needless to say I grabed my keys and brought my car home.
So now I am in the same spot I was in a few days ago and now looking for a shop to take this to.
Friend hook-ups are great but you can get the shaft real easy because you are friends.

Old 07-27-06, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by regino007
Friend hook-ups are great but you can get the shaft real easy because you are friends.

Yep, amazing how the auto industry work isn't it

Old 07-27-06, 08:03 PM
last raditor I replaced I got from the local auto parts shop for the same money as online and I didnt need to wait .

call around

Old 07-28-06, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by snuckers99
Yep, amazing how the auto industry work isn't it
The "tote-the-note" lots don't employ the best mechanics, for obvious reasons, so that was the mistake.

Old 07-28-06, 05:15 AM
have you checked with local radiater shops they will probably have the best price for a radiater.

Old 07-28-06, 08:51 AM
My gut feeling was right on the money...........and for good reason. I used to run one of those lots back in the day.
I have looked around for a rad and seem to find it for around $180 or so. I noticed that its actually one of the side tanks that have the crack in it so all that would need to be replace is one of those. I am not mechanically inclined to do the repairs myself so I am waiting on a response on someone else to follow me to a shop and drop it off and bring me back.

Thanks for all the responses bros.

Old 02-02-07, 10:17 AM
I know this is months overdue, but...

Next time you need Volvo parts:

www.fcpgroton.com
www.ipdusa.com

Those plastic expansion tanks break all the time in Volvo radiators. My old 760 died that way. You actually have to replace the whole thing, though...the plastic tank doesn't come off the metal part. Check out www.brickboard.com for more specific how-to info.

Hope that helps the next time around.

Old 02-02-07, 03:53 PM
If you get between a rock and a hard place, you can weld the plastic tanks with a pencil type soldering iron and some thin strips of similar type plastic. Have a great day. Geo