1990 tOYOTA CAMRY

Old 07-19-06, 07:51 AM
Question 1990 tOYOTA CAMRY

I have a 1990 toyota camry with about 250,000km. I have been experiencing this one nagging problem with the car and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

When the car is on, weather it's in drive park neutral or any gear (therefore i don't think it's the transmission) the car begins to rev high. When it's in park or neutral you can tell that the rpm reaches 1500. Then this happens, sometimes it'll stop by it'self and sometimes it'll continue happeneing until I turn the car off and back on again. Sometimes even this does not remedy the situation.

When this problem occurs and i try driving the car. it will bogg out then stall. This proves to be very dangerous at a busy intersection.

I was told to replace the air flow meter which i did.but this didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions? has anyone experienced this situation before? Please let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you checked to see if the throttle plate is closing all the all way.

take the intake hose off and look inside at the throttle body.

Also your IAC (idle air control motor) could have failed completely open. Which I think it will most likely be. You should have a base idle set screw, if no one has messed with that then I would suspect its the IAC because you state it goes up to 1500rpm which is about what a completely open IAC can do.

Old 07-19-06, 08:31 AM
snuckers99 thanks for the info. But if the IAC has failed completly will the rpm not always remain hi as opposed to goin up and down randomly?

Also if this is the case would this be a reson for the bogging and stalling?

Old 07-19-06, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by AMAK
snuckers99 thanks for the info. But if the IAC has failed completly will the rpm not always remain hi as opposed to goin up and down randomly?

Also if this is the case would this be a reson for the bogging and stalling?

your clearer in that description of your problem now you are describing a vacuum leak.

Old 07-19-06, 09:03 AM
The way I check for vacuum leaks is make a tube out of some rubber plubbing connectors and connect it to my air compressor and pressurize the intake to about 7psi.

Or you can get a can of throttle body/ carb cleaner and haev someone hold the throttle at a steady rpm. Then start spary around areas of hoses to see if the rpm will change and thats where the leak will be found.

Also clean take the 2 bolts out that hold your IAC and clean that out in there.

When you hold at a steady rpm is the motor jumping a bit like it is miss firing.

Old 07-19-06, 11:11 AM
In regards to a vacume leak...will the engine not always rev high if there is a vacume leak?

Yeah the engine does jump around like somethings wrong...but only once and a while (When the car is reving high, just b4 it's about to bog out and stall.)...it's almost like it's not getting enough air or fuel...

not sure exacyly which vacum lines i should focus on.any idea?

Old 07-19-06, 11:19 AM
I am not clear if your saying this problem is intermittent, and the car will run fine most of the time, or if this is always happening.

The only way to really go about this would be get it on a shop scanner that will monitor all the sensors so we can see if anything is out of the ordinary. While this problem is happening.

A vacuum leak would be a constant problem with symptoms similiar to these.

Old 07-19-06, 11:22 AM
does this occur in the morning right when you start it up, or only after it is warm.

Old 07-19-06, 12:04 PM
This problem is not consistent. it happens evey once and a while...maybe 2 or 3 times day, and also not at specific time. It can happen at all different times...in different situations. It has happened when I first start the car...it has also happens when the car is running (city driving as well as highway). when the car is hot or cold. Although the bogging is more prominent when the car is warm. I could be driving, and the car is running normallyand all of a sudden the RPM shoots up and the car is reving higher, when this happenes and the car is in motion, if i press on thE accelerator, thE car doesn't seem to respond right away.in the same manner, if i come to a light or a stop sign and i give teh car gas, the car bogs.

I hope i made the problem a little more clear.

I was reading once that a faulty thermostat will also cause this problem. My temperature guadge reads correctly, but is it possible that the unit it'self is faulty.

Old 07-19-06, 12:19 PM
The IAC could be acting up but without monitoring the sensors we can sit here and geuss all day. When this happens you really have no chance figuring out why this is happening. It can be as simple as corrosion on a connector pin that makes the connection affected by temperature. You saying this will happen when cold in the morning makes me think IAC still, because your computer is controlling the engine from the MAF, coolant temp, and air intake temp, and tps. Which helps me to eliminate other sensors as the cause. could be an ignition module to.
Like said we can only guess since its intermittent

With random electrical porblems a scanner to see what the computer is seeing is really the only way.

Old 07-19-06, 01:40 PM
Can a scan be doen even if i have no service engine light on?

Search this Thread