To much tranny fluid in transmission.

Old 07-20-06, 05:03 PM
To much tranny fluid in transmission.

Last year bought a 93 Chry. New Yorker from a dealer, southern car, body was mint. It has a V-6 motor in it, good gas mileage. Had it for a week and the transmission just didn't seem to shift right. Brough it back to the dealers, they sent it out to a transmisson shop, (so they say), transmission shifted alot smoother. Now 8 months later, the trans is starting to act up again. Doesn't seem to want to move at take offs, makes a funny noise, then it'll go into gear. Thought I would check the trans fluid, maybe it was low. The motor was cold and the dip stick read over the hot mark. Would this make the trans act up? Is it bad to have the trans fluid that full? I nevered added any fluid, this is the first time I checked it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-06, 05:37 PM
tranny

cold tranny fluid, checked on a level surface, read high,
not too good. some possibilities are pistons sticking, "o"rings bad
glazed machining etc. define what type of tranny you have and what type of traveling you put it through.
barry

Old 07-20-06, 07:14 PM
Too much fluid, too little fluid, or the wrong type of fluid can all cause problems. I suggest that you take your vehicle to a transmission shop and let them change the transmission fluid and filter.

Old 07-21-06, 12:32 AM
Could be just sticking valves. You can try adding a friction modifier like lubegard red (just double check to make sure it is compatible with your AFT). And to read the ATF level correctly you need to really have the tranny at operating temp - cold reading can be very inaccurate. And yes, overfilling can cause problems like foaming which can lead to lack of lubrication of the hard parts while driving. Having said that if the vent is working correctly if it is overfilled and as it heats up fluid will be vented either out of the vent or somewhere else.

Old 07-21-06, 09:33 AM
Read your manual. Alot of cars, you are supposed to measure it when it is warm (not hot) in neutral with the car running after you have shifted it through the gears, otherwise you will get a false reading.

Search this Thread