Brakes

Old 07-22-06, 08:25 AM
Brakes

I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 95 Grand Marquis. There is a rubbing noise after a few miles of driving that wasn't there before. Could I need new rotors, now that the pads are thicker are they rubbing? Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-06, 08:45 AM
nap
Did you machine the rotors? Do the wheels turn freely when lifted from the ground?

Rotors get ridges at the inner and outer edges where the pads wear away more quickly and a new pad will run right on top of these ridges and make some noises.

As well, (and I am not intimately knowledgable with your particualar brakes) rear calipers are sometimes an animal all of their own. If the park brake is an integral part of the caliper, you need to be sure to compress the caliper correctly. As well, as calipers extend, gunk can fill in behind the piston enough that when the piston is pushed back in, it can jam on that gunk.

Also there is a backing plate or shield that sometimes get bent and rub causing noises.

Post back with the answers to the above situations. It will help diagnose your situation.

Old 07-22-06, 08:56 AM
Brakes

I did not machine the rotors. When replacing the pads I compressed the old pad with a c-clamp. The wheels seem to be turning freely.

Old 07-22-06, 09:00 AM
nap
Ok then. I would look to the ridges I mentioned or the backing plate/ dust cover situation.

Search this Thread