Ford Ranger 5-speed Tranny Question

Old 07-22-06, 02:37 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger 5-speed Tranny Question

On my 93 Ranger, I recently had a new clutch installed. Now, about a year later, the transmission started making a wierd grinding/clacking noise when in gear or in neautral.

My question is this: Can this manual transmission be removed without removing the bell housing? My thoughts were; because it's an older truck and I don't want to spend another $1500 at the trans shop, I was thinking about getting a used (junk yard) tranny and install it myself in the driveway.

It would be real easy if I could just drop the driveshaft, undo the exhaust (if nessasary) and then unbolt the tranny from the bell housing.

I've never done transmission work and I have a sneaky suspicion the bell housing is bolted to the tranny from the inside of the bell housing, right?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Old 07-23-06, 06:29 PM
T
the rangers use a Mazda trans that does not have a removable bell housing. it all comes out as one unit. pull the shifter from inside truck, pull the driveshaft, unhook the slave cylinder line (slave cyl is inside bell housing), drop crossmember and pull trans. if two wheel drive, you should be able to have it out in an hour or so.

Old 07-24-06, 08:12 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You pretty much said the procedures above except you take out the bolts from around the bell housing to the block. Leave the pressure plate and flywheel all together. you need not touch it. Its a fairly simple job I am sure you can do it

Old 07-24-06, 12:39 PM
P
Thanks guys!
Would you happen to know how heavy the tranny is? Is it something I can handle by my self or should I get someone else under there with me.

Remember, I'm going to be working in the driveway with the truck on jackstands; no hoist!
Thanks,
Phil

Old 07-24-06, 12:44 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I always use a jack with a wood block under the transmission and then lower it out after you have the bell housing bolts out. be sure to support with the jack before you take all the bell housing bolts out. You may want some one else to help guide it on the other side. the tranny probably weighs around 500lbs give or take a few.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: