Orange coolant vs. green?

Old 07-22-06, 04:31 PM
Orange coolant vs. green?

I just had my coolant flushed and changed. My car usually had the orange coolant in it. When they changed it, they put in the green coolant. Is that going to cause any problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-06, 04:37 PM
what type of car is it?

Old 07-22-06, 04:43 PM
It is a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Old 07-22-06, 05:00 PM
you may get more than one anwer to your question as some believe that dex cool is better than traditional green antifreeze they are both ethylene glycol based antifreeze one is dyed green the other is orange the only difference is additives and the green antifreeze will work fine in your car.

Old 07-23-06, 08:18 AM
Talking

The orange coolant is supposed to last longer than the green before having to change it. It will work fine in your car. I have heard alot of talk about the Dex-cool not being all that great anyway.

Old 07-24-06, 08:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If they flushed out your system completely with water there will be no chance of problems. As for the orange stuff I love it because I bank off it hard in blazers especially. The orange stuff clogs radiators behind the point of cleaning it becomes rock hard when it clogs and essentially fills the whole radiator. So it is easy quick profit. GM even has a special cleaning kit made just for this problem, but that doesn't really get it all out either.

I have had only a few buicks with this problem, but usually its blazers like 8 out of 10.

Old 07-24-06, 08:48 PM
Orange/pink uses a no silicate, organic acid technology. The old green is low silicate ethylene glycol.
If it was flushed good, no problem....
Btw, the one thing that dexcool can't stand is air.... which is why they went to pressurized overflows.... little air will turn it to sludge.