Automotive Project

Old 07-23-06, 04:24 PM
Automotive Project

I have a 1990 Cierra Oldsmobile which has over 100K miles on it. The air conditioning unit and power steering does not work due to cylonodes(I hope I have that right) which need to be repaired. The vehicle also has about 80% of the brakes on it. We know it will take about $1200 to repair it. It has two new tires on the car. The vehicle otherwise is in good condition. Looking on suggestions for whether turn it in for cash or junk it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 05:20 PM
its probably not worth putting 1200 dollars into it dont know whats wrong with the p/s or a/c but if you could just fix the p/s so the car is driveable then you may be able to sell it or trade it in on something else.

Old 07-23-06, 05:59 PM
...and these cars are not DIY project friendly

I vote ditch it

Old 07-24-06, 08:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by slickshift
...and these cars are not DIY project friendly
no idea what he means by that, I know of about 2 new cars that are easy to work on. I don't understand what you are saying is the problem with the vehicle

Old 07-25-06, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by snuckers99
no idea what he means by that, I know of about 2 new cars that are easy to work on. I don't understand what you are saying is the problem with the vehicle
90's Oldsmobiles were meant to be sold to people who went to the dealer for everything and traded them in @ 60K miles
They don't last much longer than that
Olds engines of that vintage often had (among other things) non-shade-tree-friendly repair processes
Example:
Change spark plugs
Step 1) Remove engine
(yes, I know they say you can release the dogbone and rotate it on some, but that's not really true in practice)

90s Olds are just not DIY friendly to work on compared to other 90s cars

Old 07-25-06, 09:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You must not work on Jap cars much if your think that car is bad.

Old 07-25-06, 10:20 PM
Junk It

Car is Junk too old too many miles on it, I'd say get rid of it. Kelly Blue Book says about $ 675 for " Fair " condition, yours sounds worse than " Fair ".