Motor Oil question

Old 07-23-06, 08:59 PM
Motor Oil question

Hi. I was trying to clean up my garage today and found 2 cases of motor oil I purchased 10 years ago. One case contains the standard SAE40 oil and the other contains some Mobil synthetic oil. Don't really mind tossing them for the money because they did not cost me too much ($20?). But for environment sake, I'm wondering if I can still put them to use in my 2004 cars. I would appreciate answers based on certain degree of experience.

Another question for the experts: How do you tell, by looking at the oil (or examine it with some simple tests), that iif the oil from an "unknown source" is likely to be useable.

Appreciate your insights!

Shay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 10:02 PM
more than likely the oil is still good but you probably wont be able to use it in your cars you might be able to use it in a mower or some other vehicle or equipment.
really is no good way of telling by looking at it but if its never been opened im sure that it would be fine to use if you have something you can use it in.
in order to be able to use it in your vehicle it would have to be the correct weight and atleast meet the minimum requirements for your vehicle on the api rating and it being 10 years old it probably doesnt meet the the requirements for any of your vehicles but you can check the owners manual to find out for sure.

Last edited by bejay; 07-23-06 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the oil should be as good as it was when new. But it is doubtfull that it would be good idea to use it in a late model car. 2004 auto probably requires 5w30 but the 40w is still good for older vehichles. You didn't say the weight of the synethic.

Each bottle of oil gives the weight and the applications ie: se,sl, etc. Your owners manual along with a tag under the hood [maybe on dipstick] what the oil specs are for that engine.

Between the high cost of petroleum and dependance on foreign supplies - PLEASE don't toss out the oil. If you can't use it find someone than can.

Old 07-24-06, 05:38 AM
give it away

Do not toss it give it away to a buddy with an older car It is still good to use but not in your late model car.Find someone with an older car drive around with the oil in a parking lot and find someone with an older car and ask them if they want it.

Old 07-24-06, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by hhsieh
Hi. I was trying to clean up my garage today and found 2 cases of motor oil I purchased 10 years ago. One case contains the standard SAE40 oil and the other contains some Mobil synthetic oil. Don't really mind tossing them for the money because they did not cost me too much ($20?). But for environment sake, I'm wondering if I can still put them to use in my 2004 cars. I would appreciate answers based on certain degree of experience.

Another question for the experts: How do you tell, by looking at the oil (or examine it with some simple tests), that iif the oil from an "unknown source" is likely to be useable.

Appreciate your insights!

Shay
Shay,
I recently contacted Mobil by email and asked the same question.

They claim 3 years shelf life for conventional dino oil and 5 years for synthetic. Now I'm not sure I believe them; after all, they want to sell us new oil don't they?

For me (and I'm only basing this on commonsense) I’d still use the oil if it sat on the shelf for maybe 5 or 6 years. I don’t think I’d use 10 year old oil in a vehicle I cared for, even if it does meet the manufacturer’s specifications! Why take that chance it might not fully protect the engines moving parts? I’d use it in the lawnmower or use it in an oil can for lubricating moving parts around the house or garage.
Good luck,
Phil

Old 07-24-06, 10:59 AM
That's interesting - the Mobil web site used to say their synthetic was good for 10 years on the shelf unopened! I wouldn't sweat it though. Like the others said, use what's applicable to your vehicle and give the rest away. The 40W could be used in the lawnmower or used one quart at a time during summer oil changes on an older car.