Rav4 Transmission problem, being rippe off?

Old 07-24-06, 05:27 AM
Unhappy Rav4 Transmission problem, being rippe off?

My car (1999 rav4, 4-door, 4 wheel drive)had little noise coming from the front when accelerating. I take it to the repaire shop the technician say transmission "1-2 flair/noise","2-3 slipping" , and clutch was burnt and something shift also flair. There was Not engine check light on, or any other light. He say transmission need a "transmission over-haul". I pay for the "over-haul' then noise is still there. Now they say I must have heard some other noise. I don't know if they actually did any repair. In the receipt, it stated "assembly set","filter", "2nd coast brake","trans fluid" and "exchange rebuilt torque converter". It cost $1700. I want to take my car to another repair shop to verified if these repair was actually done to my car. Can regular repair shop verify the repiar, or do I have to bring it to a Transmission repair shop? How much will it cost to verified if repair was done? Is it easy to determine if these repair was done, in a hour? Any other comment?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 07:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With out seeing the vehicle or driving it all I can say is bring it some where else. Don't tell them about the other shop and let them check to see what is wrong. IF they say the same thing, then your pretty much stuck.

Old 07-24-06, 03:44 PM
Hi, snuckers99. I am confused by your reply. As far as I can tell my car is fine right now and if I let another shop look at my car without telling them the "repairs", then how do I determine if first repair shop tell me the truth regarding the transmission problem. The noise that I hearing from the front of the car has been happening for 1 week. People say transmission can be damaged easily. If noise was from the transmission then can transmission last for 1 week? First repair shop say clutch was burned, but I thought Rav4's automatic transmission don't have clutches???

Last edited by cyzpro; 07-24-06 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 06:06 PM
Re read your post. didn't see you had the work done. pretty much thats what happens when your car gets misdiagnosed. Looks like you know one place you will never go back to

Old 07-25-06, 12:30 AM
Difficult to verify - the transmission will have to be taken out and opened up. If the work was never done and everything is in good condition nothing can be proved. From what has been mentioned it looks like they thought there was a problem with the second gear (slipping & flare are pretty much the same things and happens when a clutch or band is worn). From the receipt items it seems like they installed a new brake assembly for second gear (either new clutch plates and steels in a clutch pack or a new band). Also fluid and filter change, and a rebuilt torque converter (note that this has nothing to do with the second gear slipping). "assembly set" may refer to the rebuild gasket/seal pack. I oo not know the specifics of the RAV4 transmission to contribute much as to what they could have done.

Best way to deal with this kind of repair is to try and understand the diagnosis before authorizing the repair (if they say it is slipping and you cannot feel the slippling do not authorize the repair) and also visit the shop while they are working on the transmission and see for yourself what they are doing - if they are working on the clutch pack you should be able to see them taking out the clutch plates etc.

Once the work has been completed it is hard to do very much about it.

Old 07-25-06, 01:06 PM
I agree. Live and learn, what can I say. Any idea where can I find the technical definition of the transmission flair and slip?

Old 07-25-06, 02:00 PM
Just bring it to another shop don't tell what you had done before even though it will be pretty obvious the transmission was screwed with lately. Let them tell you what you think.

I just can't believe a tranny guy misdiagnosed it like that. Normally they are pretty good. The noise comes from the tranny or it doesn't. It pretty easy to tell. I would also check for TSB's for this vehicle with that noise.

Old 07-25-06, 04:48 PM
In most states you have a right to request that your old parts be retained and given to you upon completion of the repairs. Depending on the time frame we are talking here, you may still be able to get them. I would call the shop who rebuilt your transmission and see if they still have them. At the very least, they should still have the receipts for the parts where they purchased them.

Next, I would ask to speak to the owner/manager. Is this a corporate owned or independently owned shop? Express your concerns to him or her in a friendly manner. Explain to him/her that you are concerned because you just spent $1700 dollars to fix a noise that they diagnosed...and the noise is still there! Tell him/her, that no offense intended, but you now have doubts that the repair was completed and would like him to furnish proof by way of the used parts that he replaced or receipts showing where he purchased the new parts. Also, demand that his shop diagnose and repair the original noise AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU.

As stated, there is now way to verify the repair without incurring a large expense (to remove and tear down the transmission assembly), and even then there is no guarantee that the repair can be verified.

Failing this approach, I would seek legal remedies and also put the shop on notice that you are doing so. Contact your local BBB as well.

The crux of the case is that you brought your vehicle to that repair facility because it was making a noise "X". They diagnosed the cause of "X" as "Y". They performed the repair and you still have noise "X". One of three things has obviously happened. Either they misdiagnosed your noise and performed an unnecessary repair, they performed the repair incorrectly, or they just performed an unnecessary repair period with a more malicious intent. I would think you would be entitled to your money back under these circumstances. Having said that, it's a long drawn out process and chances are you may never recover a dime.

Having said all of that, let's make sure we learned our lessons here:

1. Always request, in writing, a full explanation of the diagnosis the shop has made that includes your original complaint/symptoms.
2. Always request, in writing, a complete estimate for the cost of repairs before any work is done to the vehicle.
3. Always request, in writing, the return of your original parts so that the repair may be verified.
4. Check with your local BBB before doing business with a shop you have had no past experience with.
5. Any reputable shop will provide a parts and labor warranty for the repairs they perform. Make sure you get a copy of that warranty and read it carefully.

Old 07-25-06, 10:45 PM
Good post although the one thing I'm not sure about is asking for the old parts back - it could have come from anyone's car - espcially with the transmission - most people have not seen inside theirs. They could just hand out parts from a previous job....

Also what I would add is to learn as much as possible about how your car works - there are many books in the bookstore and articles on the web. That way you know what to expect and be able to discuss the problem.

Also specifically about the transmission terminology - automatics in particular - unfortunately there is not a huge amount of easy reading material on the subject. I have a book by Chiltons called "automatic transmission diagnosis and repair" which is a bit involved but does focus on how it all works and concludes by showing how to rebuild one as an exmaple. There may be other general reading material - if not you can either visit ATSG or ATRA's website and see if they do any general books. There also a nice and easy to understand article at howstuffworks.com on automatics and animated graphics - well worth a read.

Hopefully you will be better informed with your next repair experience. good luck.

Search this Thread