Rear defroster on 2001 Honda Accord

Old 07-24-06, 11:09 AM
Rear defroster on 2001 Honda Accord

Hi!

I've been living in the Phoenix area for the past 4 months, and temperatures have been around 115-120 degrees these past four days. I just noticed that my rear window defroster plastic coil covering on the inside glass, containing the heating wires, is being affected by the heat. It looks like the top part is being "scrunched up", and it is affecting visibility.

How can I correct this? Should I have my dealer/mechanic remove it? Is there any way to treat it? My vehicle is garaged when at home, but (e.g.) on errands, it is left outside in the broiling sun.

Never had this problem before, even in the San Joaquin Valley of CA, where temps could reach over 100 at times.

Any advice would be very welcome, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you can scrape it off with a razor blade, but then you won't have a rear defrost not that you need it anyways. and it is probably already shot. Only scrape the lines off that are already damaged. I don't see how a rear defrost can cause that much of a problem unless you have tint.

Old 07-24-06, 12:07 PM
I ponder you may be complaining about the window seperating from the safety lamination. That may be what your problem is. Then you would have to replace the window.

the window is comprised of 2 layers of glass with a plastic sheet between them and it is a like a sandwich, sometimes the layers will come apart and I can see that causing visibility problems if it gets bad enough.

the rear defrost are pretty much just painted on.

Old 07-24-06, 01:00 PM
RE: Defroster Visibility Problem

Well, I do have a tinted rear windshield window! It just looks like it is occurring at the top of the "painted on" rear defroster plastic coils. In this heat, how can I test out whether the defroster still works? Thanks again!

Old 07-24-06, 01:36 PM
you can turn it on and huff on it, is the way I would do. there probably is other ways.