Windshield Wipers for 96 Grand Prix

Old 07-24-06, 12:41 PM
Windshield Wipers for 96 Grand Prix

I recently replaced my front windshield on a '96 Pontiac Grand Prix 2-door coupe. When I go to run my windshield wipers, my passenger side wiper goes past the windshield and hits the passenger side mirror. The driver side wiper runs like normal. When I turn them off, the passenger side wiper does not return to the normal off position and stops in the middle of the windshield. Can anyone give me any information as to how to fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
put your finger on the wiper blade arm now drag it down to where the windshield is. There will be a nut there lossen it pull the arm up off then push it back down after you have turned it to where it should be then tighten the nut down. you do this with wipers off.

The nut will be near the bottom of the arm. hopefully you didn't continue using the wipers like this for a long time or else you could have stripped the splines on the mount or arm

Old 07-24-06, 01:17 PM
Will this nut be on the underside of the wiper arm? There's a large nut near where the arm attaches to the car, is this the one you're talking about? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-24-06, 01:34 PM
I believe it is on the top of the arm and may have a dome to the top of it.

Old 07-24-06, 02:23 PM
when i loosen this nut, it doesn't loosen the arm much. When I try to move the passenger side arm, the other arm moves with it. I've gotten it to no longer go past the end of the windshield, but when I turn them off, they get tangled when going to the off position. Any ideas? It's a little harder since these wipers go in a open close fashion than in unison, like on most cars.

Old 07-24-06, 06:04 PM
you have to pull the arm up off the car after you take the nut off and then return the wipers to the original off position

Old 07-24-06, 06:07 PM
Is there anything special that i need to take the arm off? I've tried to lift up on the arm, but it's going nowhere.

Old 07-24-06, 06:09 PM
no, no special tool.

pretty much like this

http://*****************

Last edited by davzack; 07-25-06 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 06:22 PM
http://www.*********.com/Q/How_do_yo...999_grand_prix

Please don't post links to outside forums - Moderator

Last edited by davzack; 07-25-06 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 06:37 PM
I will try this tomorrow. I'm assuming that since this has never been done in 10 years on my car, that the arms are pretty set in their place. Thanks again for the help.

Search this Thread