DIY Muffler Pipe Repair

Old 07-24-06, 01:45 PM
DIY Muffler Pipe Repair

Hi.

My Honda Civic's muffler pipe - where it attaches to the catalytic converter fell out of the bracket which has rusted out. I tried putty and muffler repair aluminum tape but it did not work at all. The putty just crumbled in 1 hour of driving the car so I removed it all and jury-rigged (sp?) a piece of aluminum venting over the pipe and over the bracket and wired it all down which seems to be holding it well.

Since I now want to tape up the openings that remain in order to stop the noise and I don't want to buy any more tape, is the aluminum foil that you buy in a supermarket the same thing? It sure seems to be, just maybe a bit thinner? Because if it is, maybe I can pack the openings and wire some if the packed foil on.

I know some of you out there are going to say "just take it to a garage - it isn't expensive", but to me it really is just now so I really need a temporary fix so that I don't get any tickets for 2-3 weeks!!

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Suessy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Have it professionally replaced.

Old 07-24-06, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Not cheap to fix professionally, but still needs to be done. You're dealing with levels of heat here that are going to render anything you can do useless.

Old 07-24-06, 02:55 PM
Isn't the aluminum foil the same as the tape though? The tape I got at Canadian Tire which is exactly for muffler/pipe repair. I had to remove it because the putty fell apart and I don't want to buy any more because there isn't a lot in the package. The foil looks exactly like the tape!

Re the carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm not doing anything that is really contrary to what was there before. I'm just stopping up a hole in the pipe which they sell many things at Canadian Tire for - the putty and tape I've mentioned, muffler cement, some type of matting kit with the cement and tape, etc. But thanks for your concern goldstar - it is appreciated - forewarned is forearmed.

Suessy

Old 07-24-06, 03:57 PM
I'd take it to a muffler shop and have them do it, if you don't wanna spend lots of money, just ask them weld a piece of pipe over and start saving up some to get it done right, it's cheaper in the long run.