99 Mercury Mystique Stalling and Hard Start

Old 07-25-06, 12:59 PM
99 Mercury Mystique Stalling and Hard Start

99 Mercury Mystique with a 2.0L engine. Stalling and hard starting. Stall when idling after about 30-45 seconds. Higher speeds it is fine. However when you drive it it has little power. Checked fuel pressure, timing, no computer codes, compression fine. Replaced crank and cam sensors, plugs, temp sensor, wires, fuel filter, intake and throttle body gaskets, oxygen sensors andcatalytic convertor. Still no change. Ignition coil checks out according to auto parts store. What else could it be???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-06, 02:34 PM
might try cleaning the maf sensor with carb cleaner just remove it and spray any build up off the wires of the maf sensor.

Old 07-25-06, 06:55 PM
Already did that, forgot to mention.

Old 07-25-06, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you done all this work yourself? Just curious.

Old 07-26-06, 04:44 AM
is the check engine light on or have you tried checking for codes in the computer?
are you sure the timing belt is on correctly?

Old 07-26-06, 09:41 AM
The check engine light did come on just today, so now I will have to get a code reader and check it out. Yes, I have done this work myself, but with a little input from our local garage, I can't afford $75 per hour. So he has helped when he can. Can't put the car on the road, If I had to stop, it stalls then starts hard.

Old 07-26-06, 05:47 PM
I got the painter lady's car going today. She said that it won't start again sometimes after it sits. I showed up at the job just as she was going to leave..and couldn't. She was glad to see me as i am a walking tool shed. I had her floor the throttle body to open the plate. Didn't help. Sprayed in starting fluid and this caused that weird backfire burb that makes that whistle, and the engine turn-over momentarily slows like it is hydrolocked... and then fire above the carb. Then I tested coil spark. Excellent. Then I pulled one plug out of the 4-banger. Excellent; no soot/good sharp edges on electrode. It wanted to go...you could hear it. The jumper cables I put on gave it more hope but still would not go. Considering the intake backfire (thinking timing off), I unloosened the distributor (hard to get at) and rotated it, and as i did, it started immediately. What is weird is that returning it to the original position it still ran good. I really don't know if it started from my fiddling or was a coincidence. I thought I'd post this as the poster plus others here have had that no-start situation after their vehicle gets hot.

Old 08-02-06, 07:48 AM
look into

either the throttle position sensor or Idle air control valve

Old 08-02-06, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Definitely get the codes read before you do anything else; should give you a starting point.

Old 08-03-06, 07:26 AM
Checked codes, said throttle position sensor. Replaced. No Change! Checked timing belt, it was floppy between cam gears, took out slack, now there is a noise when it starts by the exhaust cam. I can't win!

Old 08-03-06, 04:05 PM
Maybe it still IS the throttle position sensor in the sense that it is not the sensor itself, but the operation of the sensor...meaning maybe it isn't even getting electrical current to it. Have you checked for THAT?