Please tell me what this means (53 Throttle Position (TP) sensor)

Old 07-25-06, 12:44 PM
Please tell me what this means (53 Throttle Position (TP) sensor)

I have 1995 explorer and this guy had a code scanner and he scan my system and it came up with this code 53 Throttle Position (TP) sensor- signal voltage is too high (as if indicating wide-open-throttle condition. Do I need to replace that sensor or what do I need to do? All help appreciated in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-06, 01:28 PM
it means that the throttle position voltage is out of range or to high the tps sends a voltage to the computer to indicate how far the throttle is open per an example as dont know the specs for your vehicle at idle the tps range will probably be around 1 volt and slowly increase to almost 5 volts at wide open throttle,
it has a very specific range at idle like 1.0 to 1.1 volt again this is an example if its higher than that it will set that code when the test is ran with the scanner.
often the cause for the code is incorrectly adjusted base idle but it is possible that the sensor could be bad, if any one has moved the base idle screw it will increase the voltage of the tps.
is the check engine light is on?
did you get the idle air bypass valve replaced?

Last edited by bejay; 07-25-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 08:28 PM
Yes the airflow valve has been replaced so I guess the next thing to do is replace the TPS since that is what is coming up on the scanner. I was reading the different things that could be going on while this is the problem and everything that was describe is happening with my vehicle, it is sluggish and hestitant at times.