96 Grand Am A-C Problem

Old 07-27-06, 04:26 PM
96 Grand Am A-C Problem

96 Grand Am A/C clutch doesnt engage, blower works ok, but when you turn the switch to A/C. You can hear the air switching, but clutch doesnt engage. I can't figure out which relay is for the A/C. Or could it be a bad ground? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-06, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by la859
96 Grand Am A/C clutch doesnt engage, blower works ok, but when you turn the switch to A/C. You can hear the air switching, but clutch doesnt engage. I can't figure out which relay is for the A/C. Or could it be a bad ground? Any help is appreciated!
The A/C system won't engage if it's low on refrigerant. Have you verified the charge is correct?

The problem might not be the relay or a bad ground. You need put gauges on the system and bypass the cycle switch to determine what's going on. If the clutch engages with the cycle switch bypassed, then you have to determine the state of charge by monitoring the gauges. If the charge is correct then the cycle switch is bad. (the cycle switch is not adjustable on your car)

If the clutch does not engage with the cycle switch bypassed, then you can start looking at the relay or the clutch coil itself as well as the high pressure cut-out switch.
Phil

Old 08-03-06, 06:30 AM
Replaced relay after bypassing and clutch engaging. Still nothing but hot air. Pressure is ok.

Old 08-03-06, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by la859
Replaced relay after bypassing and clutch engaging. Still nothing but hot air. Pressure is ok.
la,
Pressure is ok??? In A/C work, saying "pressure is ok" does no good if you want someone to troubleshoot the system! What are the pressures (both high and low side) and what was the temperature outside when you read those pressures?

Here's an example:
I have 2003 Ford Mustang with R-134a refrigerant. The outdoor temperature is about 90. With the engine running at 1500 rpms, and the A/C on Max and the fan on high, the high side pressure is goes up to 180 and the low side drops to 20 and the compressor keeps cycling. My vent temperature is about 60 degrees.

EXAMPLE INCLUDES:
The Make, Model and Year of the vehicle
The type of refrigerant
The outdoor temperature
The settings of the A/C on the dash board console
The High side pressure and the Low side pressure
The status of the compressor (running, cycling, not running)
The vent temperature

If you can come back with (at a minimum) this type of information......I'm sure someone here can help. Otherwise it's just a guessing game!
Not trying to be a smartbutt; just need as much info to understand what’s going on!
Good Luck,
Phil

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-03-06 at 01:18 PM.

Search this Thread