R134a in auto a/c

Old 07-28-06, 05:24 PM
R134a in auto a/c

Yesterday, my mother-in-law shows up saying her car a/c is not working, and she hands me two cans of R134a refrigerant, and asks me where you were supposed to pour it in
Apparently she has a slow leak (actually the car) somewhere in the system. My question...I thought it was illegal to sell refrigerant to anyone without their EPA card, and even then, the leak had to be repaired. What gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 05:29 PM
It's perfectly legal for now to by and sell 134A in those small cans according to the epa.

Old 07-29-06, 05:18 AM
Cool

It probably should be illegal to sell R134a to nonliscensed individuals also but it is not, there is a huge profit motivated industry that sucks cash from the general public in the form of Auto AC repair kits (nicknamed DEATH KITS) these things typically cause more problems than they fix. If you wish to use a DEATH KIT you might want to do a bit of research at this Auto AC specific site I have found these people to be very knowledgeable and helpful http://www.X*X*X*X*.com/

Last edited by mattison; 07-29-06 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Link to outside forum removed.
Old 07-29-06, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tsubaki
It probably should be illegal to sell R134a to nonliscensed individuals also but it is not, there is a huge profit motivated industry that sucks cash from the general public in the form of Auto AC repair kits (nicknamed DEATH KITS) these things typically cause more problems than they fix. If you wish to use a DEATH KIT you might want to do a bit of research at this Auto AC specific site I have found these people to be very knowledgeable and helpful http://www.X*X*X*X*.com/
I wouldn't say that R-134a should be illegal but those pesky "death Kits" should be banned; as well as those cheap, low side pressure gauges they include with the death kits!

Anybody who works on an A/C system without monitoring both the low and the high side pressures (especially the high side) is asking for trouble. Itís just plain stupid to do it, but the average consumer doesnít know itís stupid. They donít even know how dangerous it is to work on A/C without monitoring the high side pressure! Itís no different than putting air in one of those skinny bicycle tires from a gas station air hose that doesnít have a pressure gauge on it. Before you even know itÖÖBAM! The only difference, with A/C the BAM will take out an eye or mangle a hand.

The kits make it sound like itís a cheap and easy prospect to have cold A/C but 99.9% of the time, users end up damaging the most expensive component of the system due to oil starvation; which is the compressor.

Then, when they take it to an A/C shop, they canít understand why it costís so much to have the system flushed because the compressor spewed its innards throughout the whole A/C system. On some vehicles itís very labor intensive to repair the damage caused by these death kits because the A/C components are difficult to access.

At a very minimum, the kits should have a warning label in clear site. But if they did; no one would buy themÖÖwould they?
Phil