AC problem in 1992 S-10 Blazer

Old 07-29-06, 07:20 AM
AC problem in 1992 S-10 Blazer

My Blazer uses the old R-12 freon.
There is a slow leak in the system and needs freon each summer. I had some extra cans of R-12 last year and everything was o.k. for the whole summer.

It doesn't work right now and don't have any of the old R-12 left.
Is there any substitute I could use in place of converting to R-134a? I only need a little and will probably sell vehicle in the next couple of years so don't want to spend anything on it, if I can help it.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 07:37 AM
There's nothing that you can mix with the existing R-12. Your best bet is to retro-fit to 134A. It's not a big deal as long as you buy a gauge manifold so you can read the high and low side pressures while charging.

Old 07-29-06, 07:42 AM
But, if I convert to R-134a, don't I have to evacuate the system and may even need to replace certain parts?

Old 07-29-06, 09:30 AM
That's true but regardless, you can't mix any refrigerants together. That would cause more problems. You may see if a shop will recover the old R-12 for you then you could do the rest. You really need to find the leak also.

Old 07-29-06, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by garyrt
My Blazer uses the old R-12 freon.
There is a slow leak in the system and needs freon each summer. I had some extra cans of R-12 last year and everything was o.k. for the whole summer.

It doesn't work right now and don't have any of the old R-12 left.
Is there any substitute I could use in place of converting to R-134a? I only need a little and will probably sell vehicle in the next couple of years so don't want to spend anything on it, if I can help it.
Any thoughts?
gary,
It's illegal to mix refrigerants and, if you care, it's immoral from the standpoint that the next guy who works on the A/C system could contaminate his supply of refrigerant when he runs it through his recovery equipment.

On top of that, most reputable shops today have refrigerant identification equipment and if yours is mixed or contaminated, they won't even touch your car unless you pay for the disposal fee which isn't cheap!

The other problem is this; you need to repair the leak. R-134a will leak quicker than R-12 because its molecules are smaller making it seep out easier through any existing leaks.

If you want information on how to properly repair and/or convert you’re A/C system there are some of us here who can offer assistance. But if you’re asking about mixing refrigerants or quick and easy band-aid fixes for you’re A/C, your in the wrong forum for that!

As for not wanting to spend money on your A/C? That's why you're here in the first place. If you had repaired the leak several years ago, you'd still have your supply of "VERY" costly R-12, and an A/C system that will keep you cool year after year without any leaks.
Good luck,
Phil