C6 Tranny problem

Old 07-29-06, 11:17 AM
C6 Tranny problem

My first post here. I have a 88 F150 w/a 351 and C6. Transmission fluid is coming out the top of my dipstick tube and dripping on the exhaust causing some smoking. Questions are why this is happening? Is it under pressure? I noticed the dipstick does not fit tightly on top. Could that be the problem?.....Is there a vent somewhere that could be plugged? Sorry for all the questions, but I am stumped on this.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by outlandish
My first post here. I have a 88 F150 w/a 351 and C6. Transmission fluid is coming out the top of my dipstick tube and dripping on the exhaust causing some smoking. Questions are why this is happening? Is it under pressure? I noticed the dipstick does not fit tightly on top. Could that be the problem?.....Is there a vent somewhere that could be plugged? Sorry for all the questions, but I am stumped on this.
Thank you
Not a transmission expert here; but just off the top of my head, I'm thinking maybe it's the wrong dipstick.....not just wrong in how it fits on the tube but the wrong length!

If it's too short, the transmission could have been overfilled and that might cause it to vent out the dipstick tube.

If you bought the truck new, and you know it's the correct dipstick then there might be another problem. But if you bought the truck used, I'd verify the correct dipstick for that transmission. I've seen some weird stuff on cars over the years and wrong dipsticks show up more often than you'd think.
Good luck
Phil

Old 07-29-06, 11:50 AM
I had a 89' chevy that had a recall on its dipstick. Turns out the fluid was pushing out the fill tube under some conditions.
New dip stick from chevy with a sealing latch solved the problem. Sounds like you may have same issue with your ford

Old 07-29-06, 11:51 AM
I had a 89' chevy that had a recall on its dipstick. Turns out the fluid was pushing out the fill tube under some conditions.
New dip stick from chevy with a sealing latch solved the problem. Sounds like you may have same issue with your ford.
check for TSB or Ford dealer

Old 07-29-06, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try to find another dipstick and try that. It is an intermittent problem and doesn't alwayd do it but I have decided to sell it so I want to fix the problem first

Old 07-29-06, 05:05 PM
sorry for the double post.

Your welcome. Good luck