'95 plymouth voyager cooling system leak

Old 07-29-06, 01:30 PM
'95 plymouth voyager cooling system leak

good morning folks. i am not a mechanic, as you will see, so bear with me.

i have a '95 plymouth voyager 3 liter minivan, the "cash cow" car. it is pouring water from a leak somewhere near the water pump assembly.

i have been told a lot of things. most notably, replace the water pump the o ring has gone bad. replace the timing chain cover, they have defects that wear through.

to give you some back ground. the water pours out of the van at an alarming rate. it will be empty running or not within 5 minutes. there is an airy sucking noise when driving when the water is low. water runs along some connecting part of the lower engine to drip on the far side of the engine.

what i need to know is if it sounds like the o ring or water pump, or if it sounds like the timing chain cover. if anyone has had this issue, how to repair it, for the mechanically challenged, and if its worth it. of course, it is my only car.

has anyone ever heard this weak spot in the timing chain cover story before?

Thank you in advance for ANY info you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Timing chain cover? That should only cover the timing chain (belt) and have no bearing on sealing up oil or water leaks.

You need to crawl under the vehicle and take a hard look at it to find the source. You can see if it is coming out of the water pump or not; either at a weep hole you can actually see at the bottom of the water pump near the pulley...or hiding under the pulley and simply observing coolant pouring out of the pulley area.

If it is leaking from up higher and appears to be running down the engine, it could be a freeze plug gone bad, or a manifold gasket leak, perhaps.

Old 07-29-06, 03:22 PM
apologies

forgive me if i sound dense, but i have literall no idea what ou are talking about.

i have the haynes manual and i am trying to find what you are talking about. bear with me if you would please, i am a bit confused.

what pulley are we talking about? i have read another post about a similiar van with a similiar pully leak, if that is what it is. is it repairable? can i do it without, as the haynes manual suggests, taking apart the entire passenger side of m engine just to look and check?

i do not have a shop available, and a mechanic's shop quoted me enough to buy the same van from a used car lot to repair it.

again thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Old 07-29-06, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At the end of the water pump is the pulley with a v-belt or serpentine belt that goes around the pulley. That is what turns the water pump to make it work. Because the pulley is connected to a shaft, and the spinning shaft goes through the housing of the water pump,... that is the weak link in the water pump. A bearing/seal failure can eventualy occur. And when it does, the coolant can leak out of that seal. The pulley may be obscurring the view. But if you see coolant coming out from behind the pulley, you can bet it is from the seal of the water pump gone bad.

Old 07-30-06, 12:41 PM
The water pump on that engine is driven by the timing belt, and resides under the timing cover. There is a channel in the timing cover to carry leaking coolant out - it will be visible on the pass. side rear of the engine. A failed o-ring will dump the coolant under the intake and will be visible on the drivers side of the engine. This isn't an easy job, even with experience and proper tools. Bottom line - take it to a shop and save yourself many headaches.