1995 lincoln continental overhating

Old 07-29-06, 04:30 PM
1995 lincoln continental overheating

I bought this car after it sat for about a year - it has the 4.6 l with 136,000 miles. I have replaced the cooling fans and thermostat; after doing so i replaced the antifreeze and started the car and let it sit for about 15 minutes with no overheating problem. Upon driving the car afterwards the temperature rose into the red. I immediately stopped the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I restarted it and drove a little further and the temp. started to go back up into the red and then all of a sudden it steadily came back down to normal operaing temp. I drove approximately another mile and the dash read low coolant. My mechanic had previously checked the car and said that the heads were fine. I am thinking i should flush the radiator? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by bubnva; 07-29-06 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You probably had an air pocket after you poured in the antifreeze, and thought it was full. The circulation through the engine took the air pocket away and the coolant level dropped. Adding more coolant may solve your problem.

Old 07-29-06, 08:33 PM
thanks for the information

Last edited by bubnva; 07-29-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 10:32 PM
I second...

I had a 97 crown vic with the same issue. T'was an air bubble in the system.

Old 07-30-06, 06:35 PM
Thanks a million

Nailed it right on the head , no more overheating- thanks so much for the input!!!

Search this Thread