How Do you "flush out auto a/c system"?

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-06, 11:45 AM
Question How Do you "flush out auto a/c system"?

A/C problem not cooling: What equimpment or machine do you have to have to "flush out the system of an automobile air conditoning system? I would rather not go to shop if don't have too. Is it a thing that can only be done at a shop? Estimation of cost in Oklahoma? Also high power vacuum to get out all the air probably at a shop too? Cost? Any ideas or suggestions would be great, please reply. Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 11:55 AM
nap
Flushing a system is not a DIY service to start with and the reasoning is that all refigerant has to be reclaimed. This requires equipment an average DIY'er does not have.

Next, a system is generally flushed part by part. You do not want to flush anything into another part of the system and any drier and/or filter would need to be replaced anyway.

After you finally get it all flushed, which isn't actually that difficult IF you have the proper machines and materials and you reassemble the thing, you need to vacuum the thing out. That requires a vacuum pump. Something, again, an average DIY'er doesn't have setting around home.

Then you simply refill the system with the appropriate amount of refrigerant AND oil and get cooled off if all was done properly.

This isn't meant to scare one off from doing the work themselves, simply, it isn't quite as simple as it sounds.

You can pay to have the freon reclaimed to start with. The flushing can be done with commonly purchased chems and an air compressor and a flush gun is available to all willing to purchase one.

Don't forget; if there are any problems, they are all yours.

Old 07-31-06, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well since your question as how to flush not evacuate.

Go to a major parts store they will have a can of a/c flush.

disconnect the hoses to the accum/drier, and compressor. Spray the stuff in the hoses to the condensor and the evaporator, then you blow it with compressed air. So an air compressor would be needed.

Thats the big secret you didn't get above, atleast you don't have to post a question on how to fill a system the guy above answered that with out you asking

Old 07-31-06, 07:29 AM
You basically need shop air to flush a system. The system needs to be broken down and each component is flushed individually, except for the compressor, dryer, expansion valve, and filter (if present).

I flush by pouring mineral spirits into the component and flush it through with shop air. This must be repeated many, many times. Finish the flush by ending with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner to remove the mineral sprit residue.

Why do you think you need to flush?

To DIY further on the a/c, you need a good vacuum pump and a set of manifold gauges.

Old 07-31-06, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Kestas
You basically need shop air to flush a system. The system needs to be broken down and each component is flushed individually, except for the compressor, dryer, expansion valve, and filter (if present).

I flush by pouring mineral spirits into the component and flush it through with shop air. This must be repeated many, many times. Finish the flush by ending with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner to remove the mineral sprit residue.

Why do you think you need to flush?

To DIY further on the a/c, you need a good vacuum pump and a set of manifold gauges.
Kestas,
A couple of things I wanted to add!
The first one is a "No-Brainer"
If you're going to use lacquer thinner or brake cleaner be very careful about getting any on the painted surfaces of the car. When you're blowing shop air through the A/C components, whichever solvent is used comes out as a fine mist and can quickly damage the paint.

Also, I wanted to add one item to your list of parts not to flush. You mentioned compressors, dryers, expansion valves, and filters should NOT be flushed. On some A/C systems there is a muffler at the outlet of the compressor. That muffler should NOT be flushed either. Most of the ones Iíve seen have the muffler permanently crimped onto the high pressure hose that runs from the outlet of compressor to the inlet of the condenser; if the car does have a muffler, and the system is extremely contaminated, at that point, I would replace the whole line with new one!
Phil

Old 07-31-06, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Or instead of buying all those liquids you can just buy the $10 can of flush. Which be more than enough for one A/C.

Old 07-31-06, 01:25 PM
Mineral spirits are a LOT cheaper. I don't think I use any more than a quart of mineral spirits and a half-pint of lacquer thinner to do a system.

Old 08-02-06, 12:45 PM
Thumbs up thanks

Originally Posted by nissianck
A/C problem not cooling: What equimpment or machine do you have to have to "flush out the system of an automobile air conditoning system? I would rather not go to shop if don't have too. Is it a thing that can only be done at a shop? Estimation of cost in Oklahoma? Also high power vacuum to get out all the air probably at a shop too? Cost? Any ideas or suggestions would be great, please reply. Thanks in advance....

Thanks all for your replys...just used a can of flush that cost $20 dollars at the loacal auto parts store. Thanks!!

Old 05-30-12, 07:06 AM
How To Flush Out Your AC system. Can be Done.

First of All, Nevermind The Comments about releasing Freon into the air. Science tells you, you can never catch all gas with a machine. Plus there are no regulations for the METAL COMPANIES THAT CRUSH THOUSANDS of Cars a day. Do they set up a machine that captures your Freon before it goes into the Crusher? The answer is NO! So your one flush (assuming you even have any Freon in your system in the first place) will not compare to the Recycling Companies.

Remainder of post removed by moderator.

Moderator note: Sorry, easy, but you're not going to be allowed to post that kind of advice on this Forum.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-30-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Easy...this is a 6 y/o thread.

As to the capture of refrigerants...well...you are somewhat wrong. Reputable auto recyclers do indeed drain all the systems on a freshly brought in vehicle. Oil, power steering, brake fluid, coolant, refrigerant...all are captured and sold. That is if there is any remaining after the problem that brought the car in. Even here in Podunk, AZ I know at least one of our yards does that...I'm sure in some areas they just don't care.

By the time most cars go to an actual shredder or crusher..they've been stripped of anything of value.

Old 05-30-12, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Just to add to Vic's comments, trust me the recyclers are out to get every last nickel's worth of value from a junker and the captured freon does have value.

Old 05-30-12, 01:16 PM
I also know our city does the same for discarded refrigerators and dehumidifiers, and has been doing so for at least 20 years.

Old 05-30-12, 03:38 PM
I agree with both moderators ac systems should be taken with caution very high pressures and chemicals that are toxic.Most ac systems dont need to be flushed unless some component came apart.If your ac is blowing warm first thing to do is to find out why. Freon level compressor not engaging sensor ,there are many reasons.

Old 05-30-12, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
And with that we'll close the thread, given its age.

Closed Thread