85 nissan sentra fuel delivery problem

Old 07-30-06, 03:25 PM
85 nissan sentra fuel delivery problem

I recently purchased a 1985 nissan sentra 2door sedan w/ a 1600cc motor, non-Cal model. I orig. bought the car for $125 dollars and spent about the same again in registering and title fees. The prior own stated that he had a mechanic friend try and fix the car. It would not stay running after start up unless you gas it a ton of gas. I could see the fuel and oil filters were new. At any rate I ended up trouble shooting the problem to a very clogged muffler and one sparkplug wire that was the wrong type for the distributor. I was having problems with the carb leaking fuel thru the gaskets, so I rebuilt it. The problem I am having now seems to be with the fuel pump. The symtoms are as follows, The car chugs breifly when I first start to let out the clutch and give gas, also the car will take a long time to start if I let it sit for more than 48 hours and finnaly I noticed that the fuel filter was empty after sitting for several days. I hope that I have given you enough information and background on the car. One last thing, if anyone is having a problem with their like model car dying while driving and having to let it sit for about 45 min.... then write me and I will point you in the right direction. thanks in advance. quick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-06, 06:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get a fuel pressure gauge. Or replace the fuel pump

Old 07-31-06, 06:40 PM
thanks for the help

I did end up changing the fuel pum and that seems to have cured the problem. thanks for the help.