walk me through 91 caprice brake pad r&r

Old 07-31-06, 09:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation walk me through 91 caprice brake pad r&r

I am about top replace the brakes on my 91 chevy caprice. Just wanted a walkthrough so that i don't forget anything. I am a boat and trailer mechanic so i'm hoping it's as easy to replace as trailer brakes. please advise
thanks

Old 07-31-06, 09:59 AM
G
Received 23 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and hassle, go to your local autoparts store and buy a Hayes or Chilton repair manual for about $10.00, you can then see the proper way to do the brakes and any thing else that might go wrong with your car. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 07-31-06, 11:20 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I could tell you to go by a haynes but since you and I are more competent than that, here is how.

Since you worked on trailers I am going to assume you know how to do wheel bearings just like on a trailer. or you can google it.

first take tire off. turn the wheel so you can see the back of the brake caliper. Now you should see 4 bolts. 2 that hold the braket and 2 for the sliding pins that pads ride on. The sliding pins should be 3/8" allen key if i recall, they will be the 2 bolts farthest from the hub. Take those out pry the caliper off and off. take the 2 other bolts out to get the mounting bracket off. then take the big center axle nut off and take your rotor off. these are timpkem bearings just like a trailer, clean pack, etc to them. You will probably want to get the the rotors cut at a shop for around $10 a piece or buy new ones. Now you need brake lube, clean the sliding pins and coat them with lube. wire brush the areas where the ends of the pads touch and then lube that area with grease to so the pads will slide easily in the mounting bracket. Get a big C clamp use the old pad and squeeze the piston back in the caliper. put it back together with new pads and your done.

Old 07-31-06, 07:18 PM
P
Originally Posted by snuckers99
Get a big C clamp use the old pad and squeeze the piston back in the caliper. put it back together with new pads and your done.
I'd only add one thing; and this is just the way I do it at home when I'm doing my own brake jobs on my own cars.

I cringe at the thought of all that old beat-up brake fluid being pushed up back into the master cylinder when you compress the caliper piston. So before the brake job, I empty most of the reservoir with a turkey baster, fill it with clean fluid and open up all the bleeders and then keep pouring clean fluid into the reservoir until it comes out clear at each wheel. It takes a little longer but I feel better with fresh, new fluid in the system.

Then when you compress the piston, only clean fluid backs up to the reservoir. Might be overkill, and I realize a shop mechanic doesnít have the time and actually would have to charge to replace all the fluid. But thatís one of the nice things about doing brake jobs at home, you can go the extra mile and all it costs is a little bit of time and very little money!
Phil

Old 07-31-06, 07:28 PM
M
tip

Do one side at a time so you can use the other side for referance. This is important on the rear brakes were there are springs,clips etc

Old 07-31-06, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: