stain on car body

Old 07-31-06, 12:47 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stain on car body

there were rusty spots on the garage roof/ceiling and when it rained the drops from the ceiling stained the body of my car.
can i remove the stain by using the rubbing compound? is it a good idea?

thanks for the replies in advance.

Old 07-31-06, 01:06 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
use a clay bar or microfinish compound, not regular compound

People always use regular compound probably cuz it is easy to find, and they pretty much ruin the clear cloat.

Old 07-31-06, 01:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Did you try running it through a car wash? I'm sure the rubbing compound would work, but I'm wondering if you need to be that aggressive.

Old 07-31-06, 01:14 PM
S
see even this guy knows whats up with rubbing compound thats why you need the microfinish compound, you can rub it with your hand till its gone.

microfinish compound is very gentle, nothing like regular compound. google 3m microfinish or look it up at 3m.com it will be under imperial microfinish compound compound to find some most auto stores only sell the compound that damages your clear coat really easily.

thats the 3m part number 06011, you may need to look up detailing supply store, or paint automotive paint supply store in the yellow pages.

and the guy below has never used a micorfinish compound either. I have yet to meet and idiot that has screwed up the paint with a microfinish compound it is to fine of a cut you really really need to try to botch the paint up with that stuff.

Last edited by snuckers99; 07-31-06 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 01:20 PM
P
Originally Posted by noorook
there were rusty spots on the garage roof/ceiling and when it rained the drops from the ceiling stained the body of my car.
can i remove the stain by using the rubbing compound? is it a good idea?

thanks for the replies in advance.
I wouldn't use rubbing compound! I prefer to use the MEGUIAR'S brand of Professional products.

I'd use their #2 "Fine Cut Cleaner" and then follow it with #20
"Polymer Sealant."

The only time I use rubbing compound is to rub out faded, yellowed headlight lenses. IMO, it's too harsh for painted surfaces.
Phil

Old 07-31-06, 01:28 PM
S
If you plan on doing headlights use a medium cut compound and high speed lambs wool bonnet, and around 2k rpms

Old 08-01-06, 09:32 AM
N
Thumbs up

thanks for all the helpful comments, guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: