93 Eclipse A/C

Old 07-31-06, 03:18 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Eclipse A/C

My friend has a 93 eclipse and although we tried we can't seem to find the low inlet service port for the the a/c system.Does anyone know offhand where it may be located?Just curious,thanks,Steve
1.8 4 cyl.

Old 07-31-06, 04:07 PM
P
Originally Posted by stevieboy0923
My friend has a 93 eclipse and although we tried we can't seem to find the low inlet service port for the the a/c system.Does anyone know offhand where it may be located?Just curious,thanks,Steve
1.8 4 cyl.
Steve,
I'm not familiar with that particular car but I can tell you the low side service port won't be located on any hose that's connected to the condenser. The hose that goes from the outlet of the compressor to the inlet of the condenser is the discharge (high pressure) line. You won't find the low side port on that line.

The line that goes from the outlet of the condenser to the inlet of the evaporator is the Liquid line. The low side port will not be found on that line either. (BTW, that line is where the expansion valve will be located. The expansion valve is between the condenser and the evaporator)

The Low side port will be located somewhere between the outlet of the evaporator and the inlet of the compressor. That's the low side! (or suction line)
Again, I'm not familiar with that car but if it has an accumulator (black or silver can on or near the firewall) that accumulator will be connected to the outlet of the evaporator and it will have a hose going to the inlet of the compressor. The low side service port can be located either on the accumulator or any part of the hose between the accumulator and the inlet of the compressor.
Hope that helps and don't forget......
If you or your friend are gonna' work on this A/C system, you also need to monitor the high side.
Phil

Old 07-31-06, 04:27 PM
S
Angry 93 eclipse a/c

The outlet from the evaporater runs along the passenger side wheel well all the way to the firewall. There is a glass viewing eye before the line reaches the inlet port to the compressor. Also,now that I'm following the outlet (high) line from the compressor, I can see that someone has also removed the schraeder valve from the high side service port.This is not a problem as much as the mystification as to where the service port would be on the low side.I'll try underneath next time.Maybe there's something I'm not seeing here. Thanks, Steve

Old 07-31-06, 07:48 PM
B
air conditioning systems

please, for the love of what ever god that you worship(if any),
IF YOU ARE NOT CERTIFIED, HAVE NOT BEEN TRAINED, CAN'T FIND THE PROPER SERVICE PORT ON THE SYSTEM, don't risk your life
on recharging the system, the misuse/improper use can result in
injury or death. we, as pro's will never give that advice to anyone not qualified. Please take the car to a qualified shop to help you with your a/c problem. we are able to tell you what we may think is the problem, but when it comes to any thing that calls for the
handling of refridgerants, well, you won't get it here from the
pro's. please let us know what's going on,

barry

Old 08-01-06, 07:30 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
low inlet is on the top of the compressor. ignore the guys above. I am a 1g eclipse master.

Old 08-01-06, 07:36 AM
S
its on the compressor. you need to put your gauges on when the vehicle is not running this one is risky to stick your hand in that tight spot unlike like some other thread with easy wide open access to the belt.

I have faith in you. If you graduated high school your more than enough qualifed to work on A/C after you read the directions on the box that came with the charging hose.

Last edited by mattison; 08-01-06 at 08:10 AM. Reason: comment removed.
Old 08-01-06, 09:13 AM
P
Originally Posted by stevieboy0923
1.8 4 cyl.
Steve,
I want to jump in again here, because; after reading Barry’s post I tend to agree with him to a certain degree!

If you don't know how to locate the service ports on a car by looking at the system, chances are you are not familiar enough to work on the system.

For obvious reasons it's dangerous to add refrigerant to the low side without a charging manifold. For an experienced person, it's too easy to overcharge the system without monitoring the high side; and for an inexperienced person like you its very dangerous.

Even if you have a charging manifold and hook it up correctly; if you accidentally open the wrong valves on the manifold......instead of using the compressor to pull refrigerant from the can into the system, you could easily be creating a bomb by pressurizing the can of refrigerant until it bursts in your face.

I'm going to suggest you hold off on this job until you get some basic MVAC reading material and get your 609 certification. You can do that online for a few bucks; do a Google search for "EPA refrigerant test"

This way you will have better success repairing the A/C and you won't take the chance of damaging the car, your tools or yourself!!!!!!
Good luck,
Phil

Old 08-01-06, 12:29 PM
M
I am going to jump in here.

A 609 does not teach you to work with A/C systems

Old 08-01-06, 03:05 PM
P
Originally Posted by monoky99
I am going to jump in here.

A 609 does not teach you to work with A/C systems
Monkey,
I don't know if you're talking to me or not.....But I didn't say the 609 certification will teach you to work on A/C systems. If so, you read more into my post than what I wrote.

I did imply that people who know little (or nothing) about A/C should at least "get some basic MVAC reading material" before attmepting any repairs. And yes, I also suggested the 609 certification too. So what's wrong with that?

Just a few weeks ago the owners of this site wouldn't even let us talk about the refrigerant cycle because they know what can happen when someone doesn't understand what they are doing.

Finally they let it go and all they asked for in return is to let DIYer's know about the dangers as well as legal issues involved with working with refrigerants.

If the person knows about A/C, he can disregard my suggestions. It's as simple as that! Nobody's cutting anybody down!
Phil

Old 08-01-06, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This post is getting argumentative in nature. As stated, DIY in the past has refused to allow refrigerent questions to be in the Forums. Government rulings make it illegal for unlicenced persons to work with most refrigerants. Arguing in the public Forums will deny discussion on this subject. Thanks.

Old 08-01-06, 03:37 PM
OT. Phillo, what's 609 certification may I ask?. Just curious.

Old 08-01-06, 04:17 PM
The 609 is a simple test you take online. All it does is gives you the knowledge of proper handling of refigerants and makes you legal to work on motor vehicle a/c systems.

Old 08-01-06, 04:22 PM
P
Good quote from the previously deleted threads

So keep banning people for helping.

Old 08-01-06, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
The 609 is a simple test you take online. All it does is gives you the knowledge of proper handling of refigerants and makes you legal to work on motor vehicle a/c systems.
Thanks Mattison,

this's from the website that I just googled.

"
All technicians opening the refrigeration circuit in automotive air conditioning systems must now be certified in refrigerant recycling and recovery procedures to be in compliance with Section 609 of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990. More than 500,000 technicians have already enrolled in the MACS Worldwide certification program. It is designed to help you comply with the law, protect the environment and conserve the supply of CFC-12 for future service requirements.

So... basically the 609 Cert is just for recycling and recovery. If my memory serves me right, you have to be an ASE A7 cert. AND the 609 cert. to be legal to work on Auto A/C system. Am I correct?. By the way, I have them all 8 ASE's + A/C recycling and recovery cert.

Old 08-01-06, 04:48 PM
With the 609 you can work on them also.

Section 609 Technician Certification Programs
This list will be updated when other technician certification programs are approved. If your program has been approved but you are not listed here, please let us know via our feedback page. Section 609 covers technician certification in the motor vehicle sector only. Certification allows you to: (1) perform service for consideration on motor vehicle air-conditioning systems; and (2) purchase R-12 and ozone-depleting substitutes that have been found acceptable for use in motor vehicle air conditioners. Note, that while certification is required in order to service motor vehicle air-conditioners, certification is not required to purchase R-134a.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/.../609certs.html

Old 08-01-06, 04:58 PM
Thanks, it has been awhile since I took that test (about 10years +-).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: