Loud Whistle

Old 07-31-06, 04:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loud Whistle

'96 Cavalier, 2.2 auto and air, 107k. When accelerating I can hear what sounds like a whistle. I've checked all air intake connections and all vacuum lines are in order. Running great and doesn't seem to make a difference whether ac is on and no difference between nuetral and in gear. I used a stethoscope and ruled out the alternator, ac compressor, ps pump etc....can't seem to find where the noise is coming from....any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-31-06, 01:28 PM
P
DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS ON OR NEAR THE BELT WHILE IT'S MOVING! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! !

They sell a compound in an aerosol can to stop belt slipping and squealing. Might have to spend a few bucks but it's a better idea. Phil

Old 07-31-06, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Posts above were edited or deleted due to dangerous methods of repair and argumentative comments. Neither is permitted in the DIY Forums.

Old 07-31-06, 03:55 PM
nap
is it possible you have an exhaust leak. When accelerating, the pressure rises in the exhaust system so any leaks would tend to show up. I have heard some present as "whistles"

If you take a large heavy rag and preferably some leather welding gloves if available you can plug the tailpipe while the car is idling. Any such leaks will generally be heard from that.

Be cautious. The exhaust does get hot, even to the tailpipe. If you do this when the engine is cool, the exhaust pipes will not have had a chance to heat up YET. But it will very SOON.

The actual exhaust will also get hot very quickly.

Old 08-01-06, 04:11 AM
L
Thanks NAP....that may be it. It is definitely not a belt or pulley and I've ruled out the pump and compressor via a stethoscope. I noticed the manifold to exhaust pipe joint appears to have had some movement although it's tight....looks shiny. I'll check it out this evening.

Old 08-01-06, 07:25 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Last edited by mattison; 08-01-06 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Off topic comment rmoved.
Old 08-01-06, 11:05 AM
hi
check exhaust pipe from intake.
could be colapse inner wall inside

Old 08-01-06, 12:37 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What exhaust pipe from intake. thats sounds contradicting. exhaust and intake on same pipe. You mean the EGR pipe. Which is not double walled.

Old 08-01-06, 03:48 PM
nap
Originally Posted by lhewitt
Thanks NAP....that may be it. It is definitely not a belt or pulley and I've ruled out the pump and compressor via a stethoscope. I noticed the manifold to exhaust pipe joint appears to have had some movement although it's tight....looks shiny. I'll check it out this evening.
A lot of cars use a (I think) graphite impregnated donut gasket at that point. It allows the engine to shift as designed without stressing the exhaust pipe. The donut/gasket should be shiny if this is the same thing I am thinking of although they do burn out sometimes.

Old 08-07-06, 06:44 AM
L
ok, ruled out an exhaust leak. The noise seems to be more of a whine that increases with engine speed. It started all of a sudden....makes no difference with ac on or off, turning the s/wheel etc. It is definitely not a belt/pulley/compressor/alt/or power steering pump. Sounds as if it's coming from the engine itself. Engine is running strong and normal....temp is fine and fluids are staying normal. Trans fluid is ok and looks new.

Old 08-08-06, 06:57 AM
May I asked how you ruled out all of that stuff? The correct way would be to remove all your belts and then start the engine...if the sound's not there anymore it's in one of the belts/pulley/compenents.

Old 08-08-06, 09:09 AM
L
I guess maybe I should remove all the belts....used a stethoscope and pretty much ruled out any noises from that area but it could still be that I suppose. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: