Lumina misfires

Old 08-01-06, 06:19 PM
Lumina misfires

I own a 1995 Chevy Lumina with a 3.1 L engine. The engine starts but sounds like a lawn mower. You must keep the gas floored in order to keep it running. It is also blowing black smoke. I pulled the three spark plugs in the front and one is completely fouled. I replaced the plugs and one was instantly fouled again. The one furthest to the right was not fouled at all, the plug in the middle was fouled some and the third was completely fouled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by svcskier16; 08-03-06 at 03:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-06, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Going to need to get your codes read to see if anything comes up. Sounds as though you are running extremely rich which can be due to a number of reasons. [You could throw an O2 sensor at it, but I don't like to parts swap without some troubleshooting]

Here's how to read the codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Old 08-02-06, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Anybody know a good site to read up on all the parts associated with "throttle body" injection?...as I suspect there is some failure of the injector to deliver the right amount of fuel, particulartly at idle, perhaps.

Old 08-03-06, 04:11 AM
is all the plugs fouled or just a couple of them when you say fouled what color are they black? or just wet with gas?

Old 08-03-06, 05:42 AM
I only checked the three plugs that I could get to with out rotating engine.

1 plug is really black
1 plug is semi black
1 plug is normal

Old 08-03-06, 07:42 PM
Lightbulb

I,

If your engine bucking or have a rough idle it may be due to a vacuum leak... (vacuum hose broken, PCV valve or EGR valve stuck open (if equipped) it make a air leak and force the system to put more gaz to try to maintain a good mixture...

Old 08-05-06, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by svcskier16
I only checked the three plugs that I could get to with out rotating engine.

1 plug is really black
1 plug is semi black
1 plug is normal
My first guess would be a fuel pressure regulator problem. I am wondering which induction system this 3.1 uses....Hm, TBI! You could have a leaky injector, or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Do you smell gas when the engine is off or can you see down into the throttle body to check for pooled gasoline? For some reason things are very rich in your engine. Is the check engine light on?

Christopher