Rotten Egg Smell (Jeep Cherokee Odor)

Old 08-03-06, 05:02 AM
Rotten Egg Smell (Jeep Cherokee Odor)

My daughter has a Jeep Cherokee (sorry don't know the year....98 or 02 maybe?)
She said when she starts to drive it a rotten egg smell starts permeating the inside of the vehicle. Doesn't notice any leaks. Also sometimes hears a 'clunking' sound as if underneath the car.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 05:21 AM
question, has she had catylitic converter changed or inspected??

(exhaust system) the rotten egg smell is more likely to be a bad catalytic converter. a catylitic converter looks like a small muffler between the headers(on engine) and the muffler(the big boxy thing leading to the tailpipe).

im not sure about prices for parts just ask a car parts store or go to a midas muffler shop if you don't plan on getting under the jeep and doing it for daughter.

you may find websites on internet about do it yourself catylitic converter replacement. if in doubt or looks hard its best to take it to a pro

Old 08-03-06, 05:34 AM
The rotten egg smell doesn't necessarily mean the catalytic converter is bad. A rich fuel mixture will cause that too!

I’d check that before replacing the catalytic converter. If it is a problem with the fuel/air mix, a new converter will make the same smell. For example, a faulty coolant sensor can cause the engine to run rich because it thinks it’s not reaching full operating temperature.

Don’t go out and replace the converter just yet!
Phil

Old 08-03-06, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by tahlians
She said when she starts to drive it a rotten egg smell starts permeating the inside of the vehicle. Doesn't notice any leaks. Also sometimes hears a 'clunking' sound as if underneath the car.
Any ideas?
Thank you!
Before you do anything, try different gas station for a tank or two and see if it's get any better (or worst).

There's nothing wrong with the Cat/Con. (just yet)

Old 08-03-06, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure if it applies in this case but can it be a small animal? One of my relatives was having problems with a horrible smell coming from the AC vents and after examining the engine he found a dead gerbil inside. Once again, I don't think this is the case for you but at times this is possible.

Old 08-04-06, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by tahlians
Any ideas?
Thank you!
that smell is typically caused by high temperatures in the cat converter due to the excess in unburned fuel going through the exhaust. The cat converter oxidizes this fuel, which in turn produces the heat, and the high heat usually generates the smell.

Replacing catalytic converters should only cost you between $190 - $230. Better ask the advice of a reliable mechanic to be sure if that would be the better solution

Old 08-05-06, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Catalytic convertors are designed to last the life of the car. It would be unusual to need to replace one with less than 100,000 miles on it. Certain conditions can cause premature failure - running rich or oil consumption are 2.

Old 08-07-06, 05:41 AM
If the car is an '02 and the convertor is bad, barring any damage, dents, contamination, etc, it may be covered under warranty....most EPA mandated equipment is warranted for a minimum of five years. Check your warranty manual for emissions-related components..