'99 Altima--trouble filling gas tank

Old 08-03-06, 06:28 AM
'99 Altima--trouble filling gas tank

I have a 1999 Altima. About 2 months ago, I started having trouble filling my gas tank. The auto shut-off on the gas nozzle triggers, even though my car's gas tank in not full. With the gas tank empty, the shut-off triggers after pumping about a gallon or so. Then, it triggers again after each additional 1/2 gallon.

Around the same time that this began, I got a 'service engine soon" light on my dash.

Before this began, I had no trouble locking the gas nozzle to "on" and then washing my windows as the tank filled. When the tank was full, the auto shut-off tripped and I'd be on my way.

Any thoughts on what is going on would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
You've tried different stations & pumps?

Old 08-03-06, 09:27 AM
Yes. The first time, I thought it was a problem with the station nozzle. However, I've had the problem at multiple stations and multiple brands.

Old 08-03-06, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
I think I would have the tank inspected for possibly a problem with the plumbing between the filler and the tank itself. The pump nozzles cut off in response to resistance to the flow of fuel down the filler neck. Anything that prevents the free flow of fuel could trigger it such as a crushed tube or collapsed line. About all that comes to mind.

Also stop by an Auto Zone if there's one close and post back what codes they read for the service engine light.

Old 08-03-06, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by GaetanoL
I have a 1999 Altima. About 2 months ago, I started having trouble filling my gas tank. The auto shut-off on the gas nozzle triggers, even though my car's gas tank in not full. With the gas tank empty, the shut-off triggers after pumping about a gallon or so. Then, it triggers again after each additional 1/2 gallon.

Around the same time that this began, I got a 'service engine soon" light on my dash.

Before this began, I had no trouble locking the gas nozzle to "on" and then washing my windows as the tank filled. When the tank was full, the auto shut-off tripped and I'd be on my way.

Any thoughts on what is going on would be appreciated.
Is there any work has been done prior to the incident that are related to removing of fuel tank or fuel filler tube?.

Old 08-03-06, 06:33 PM
Exclamation

I
If your gaz tank or filler neck is not damaged, you can expect the carbon canister. most of the time if your carbon canister are blocked or damaged, it make a restriction and it can be difficult to filling the gaz tank... and your service engine soon light can be a fault with the EVAP system ...

Old 08-04-06, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

No work has been done recently to the tank or filler tube.

I'll have the "check engine" light code checked and report back.

What could make the filler tube collapse? I haven't been in any accidents.

Thanks,
Guy

Old 08-04-06, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

No work has been done recently to the tank or filler tube.

I'll have the "check engine" light code checked and report back.

What could make the filler tube collapse? I haven't been in any accidents.

Thanks,
Guy
Alright, that's eleminates kinked hoses and incorrect vacuum hoses installed, the other thing is the filler tube itself, there's a flap/valve (roll over valve) in the tube may fall out due to it ages or just goes bad, I'd try the filler tube first and see it fix.

Old 09-28-06, 05:44 PM
I just wanted to give an update on my problem I posted recently. I had the EVAP vent contol valve replaced. Unfortunately, according to the mechanic, the dealer no longer sells just the valve. I had to replace the the entire cannister assembly. $300 for the part, plus the cost of 1.5 hours of labor, but al least now I can fill my tank.

Guy

Old 09-29-06, 03:47 AM
. I had the EVAP vent contol valve replaced. Unfortunately, according to the mechanic, the dealer no longer sells just the valve. I had to replace the the entire cannister assembly. $300 for the part,

Guy
That's not true, you can get the Vent control valve only from any Nissan dealer.

Is that mechanic works for Nissan or just an independant shop?.

Old 09-29-06, 05:36 PM
He is an independent mechanic. I think I should follow-up with the local Nissan dealer to confirm what he told me.

Old 09-29-06, 06:00 PM
I think you should, I work for Nissan as a Master Tech, I know you can get the Vent control valve only without buying the canister.

Old 09-30-06, 11:59 AM
I second New Guy, I am also a nissan tech. they are purchased seperatly. Unless the bolts where rusted and cracked the canister upon removal or the internals let go in the canister you would have not needed the canister assmbly

Old 10-05-06, 09:56 AM
New Guy and froylaven,

Thanks for your info. I looks like you're going to save me a couple of hundred bucks! My local dealer does carry just the valve. I paid a visit to my mechanic and he agreed to put the old canister back in and refund me the difference between his original quote and what he actually charged me (a $273 difference).

Old 10-05-06, 02:30 PM
Your welcome.

That's this DIY forum all about, saving couple bucks while get the job done right.

Search this Thread