94 Toyota Camry - Starting Problem!

Old 08-03-06, 07:03 AM
94 Toyota Camry - Starting Problem!

Hello everyone!
Got a problem here! Well to give a quick background, i work for a Ford Dealership -- yes and drive a Toyota -- in the parts dept. Recently i had the Used Car Mechanic take a look at my car to figure out whats wrong..here are the symptoms:

When i go to start the car after a while of sitting the car wont crank..you turn the key and it just clicks once..the mechanic said the alternator and battery were fine but the battery was a few years old..i replaced the battery with a brand new battery and the problem still occurs..if the car has only been sitting for an hour or so it usually cranks up fine, but after an extended period of time (especially overnight) it wont crank..but the crazy thing is whenever it wont crank - i run a battery charger to it, and instantly it cranks up..no problems at all!! Now when it wont crank it clicks once, then if i turn the ignition off and try it again it clicks again, but it sounds weaker...i think it may be the starter, and the mechanic says its possible, but the finiky thing is that whenever i run the charger to it it will crank right up -- and thats the weird part..he said the starter wouldnt show signs of that!! Next time i try cranking it im going to try the old trick of if it doesnt start to go and hit the starter a couple of times and see if it cranks up..that way it will tell me if it is the starter!!

Any suggestions of what else to do?? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
The contacts in the solenoid portion of the starter are worn. Remove the starter and carefully open up the solenoid. You'll find two large copper contacts and a plunger. See if there's a specialty starter/alternator shop in the area; they'll have the replacement parts. Pretty simple operation especially if you have assistance of a mechanic. Think I paid $20 for parts (we do their towing) when my wife's last Camry needed them; lot cheaper than an expensive starter r&r.

Smacking it with a hammer may or may not get it to crank; don't break anything because then you'll need a new starter PLUS the core will be worthless.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-03-06 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you do go after it with a hammer, give the heavy battery cable a tap - right at the terminal on the starter. A very little corrosion along with the right weather / temperature conditions will let enough current flow to pull in the solenoid while blocking the heavy amps needed to spin the starter.
I've cured a few cars this way. If it does fire up, then remove, clean up, and re tighten the battery cable at the starter.

Old 08-03-06, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the quick responses!
While at work, i went out to the car to crank it up and it wouldnt crank, so i replaced it with a brand new battery and it helped for a short period, but again it wont crank...and now after your advices i know it must be the starter! I think im gonna go ahead and just purchase a brand new starter..$100 my cost on a brand new one with lifetime warranty from Napa --so i figure i rather save the headache of maybe having to replace the "innards" again and just replace the starter!! Thanks again guys!!

Old 08-03-06, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty good price. Before you turn in the core it would be informative if you could inspect the contacts. Pretty easy to get to.

Old 08-03-06, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy

Smacking it with a hammer may or may not get it to crank; don't break anything because then you'll need a new starter PLUS the core will be worthless.
I blew the top off my battery. Yet, when I purchased the new one, Farm & Fleet gave me the $7 for the old battery, anyway. Interesting, eh?

Old 08-03-06, 06:17 PM
If a new starter doesn't solve it, you might have a slow current drain on the battery. Measure the voltage of the battery when it doesn't start, it should be close to 12V.

Old 08-04-06, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
I blew the top off my battery. Yet, when I purchased the new one, Farm & Fleet gave me the $7 for the old battery, anyway. Interesting, eh?
Batteries aren't "rebuilt" like mechanical parts; the core value I think is for the lead (although can't imagine the amount of lead ina battery would be worth $7.