Wheel woes

Old 08-22-09, 01:37 AM
So my brake light came on AGAIN after just 4 months. I resolved to change EVERYTHING this time, including rotors in one shot. I hit NAPA and bought the cheapest rotors, calipers and brake pads. I jacked the car up and got under there with the thinking that since I didn't replace the bracket last time (caliper brackets) that that was the problem. Turns out, I forgot that I replaced the pins and slides on the bracket!!! Ugh! And the aftermarket ones rust soooo badly. I ripped off the pads and the darned things were PERFECT. They were wearing evenly and all. I'd already painted the new calipers (to prevent the new set from rusting) so I figured I'd swap out everything anyway. I noticed there is a small leak in the brake line near where it's braced above the caliper. I figured I may have did it by letting the caliper hang, by accident, when I could get it to screw on properly. But maybe it's the cause of this new light? Is it possible the small drop in pressure (it's barely noticeable, but it is leaking. There's no dripping, but after wiping, the fluid does reappear.) of the brake fluid is what set off the light?

Also, I tried to change the belts (power steering, alternator). They were in HORRIBLE shape. Turns out, I finally got them off and couldn't get the alternator's new belt back on. After playing with the tensioner, I was finally able to get it on. Trying to reassemble that mess, I broke off a flange that the pivot screw threads into on the alternator. I got everything back together and it's solid. But the alternator is being held in place by one less screw on point. What do we think? Am I in big trouble here or what? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-09, 06:02 AM
Is your fluid level down in the brake reservoir? You may just have a faulty light sending unit in the master.

Old 08-22-09, 11:06 AM
The fluid level dropped a little. How do I diagnose and fix the "light sending unit"?

Old 08-22-09, 11:41 AM
If your level just dropped a little, as in a couple of tablespoons, it probably is the sending unit. The wires for it should attach at the lower side of the master.

Sometimes if you just tap lightly on it the light will go off.

Old 08-22-09, 02:14 PM
Okay, so I'll replace the brake line (should be easy), bleed the brakes (should I bleed the WHOLE thing again or just the front calipers?) and check for this light. I'll mess around under the master cylinder and see what's going on but I have to tell you... I don't believe you're in the right neighborhood. I'm pretty sure after I'm done with these new pads, calipers and rotors I won't see the light... but that's conjecture. If the light stays on I'll be happy as a kitten! If not... highly frustrated.

BTW, that alternator thing. What do we think? Should I be worried? Is swapping out an alternating a BIG deal (as in difficult)?

Old 08-22-09, 04:07 PM
As far as the brake light I'm not following what you want to have happen, but it sounds like you have a good handle on it.

As far as the alternator, if you broke an adjustment ear off, it could stress the other parts that hold the belt in tension and they could give out as well. On the safe side, replace the alternator (not a big project, but about $195.00). If you like a little risk and want to hold onto the money, try running it for a while.

If you're working on a brake system and just remove one of the front lines, all you would have to bleed are the front brakes if your configuration is grouped as two front and two rear. You probably won't get much if any air out of the brake with the line you're leaving.

Old 08-22-09, 05:52 PM
Well, if the light stays on I can still hunt down the problem. If it goes away, the system wants me to change my pads every 4 months... that's NOT cool. I'd be happy if after changing the line the light goes away because the problem was the drop in pressure, but I'd have no way to tell. If it's still there, I guess I could run the code if a brake light has runnable codes.

If it goes away and randomly comes back in a couple months, I suppose Midas would be the way to go.

Thanks a TON!!! You're golden.

Old 08-25-09, 10:57 PM
nice post!
msg too short

Search this Thread