1984 S10 ignition switch actuator repair

Old 08-06-06, 07:58 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1984 S10 ignition switch actuator repair

What is the procedure for removal of the ignition switch actuator from the steering column? this column has tilt wheel,cruise,turn signals,etc. I have it torn down to the tilt assembly. But I'm unable to figure out how to remove the tilt mechanism to replace the actuator. The actuator has broken on the end down in the column that pushes on the control rod that activates the switch on the lower part of the column. (I've replaced that part) it looks like the actuator has to set in a slide that is part of the tilt assembly in order to activate the control rod. how do I get it apart to replace the actuator?

Old 08-06-06, 04:15 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lengend
What is the procedure for removal of the ignition switch actuator from the steering column? this column has tilt wheel,cruise,turn signals,etc. I have it torn down to the tilt assembly. But I'm unable to figure out how to remove the tilt mechanism to replace the actuator. The actuator has broken on the end down in the column that pushes on the control rod that activates the switch on the lower part of the column. (I've replaced that part) it looks like the actuator has to set in a slide that is part of the tilt assembly in order to activate the control rod. how do I get it apart to replace the actuator?
lengend,
Whew! I had to do that on my Mercury Sable......Not fun. Everything had to come apart all the way down to the steering shaft. Then, it all had to go back together like a jigsaw puzzle.....

On mine, there was a small steel pin that pushes the switch. The pin is inserted into a nylon rack and when you turn the key, a gear in the cylinder moves the rack, which in turn moves the switch into its selected position. The pin popped out of the rack so I decided to glue it in with epoxy, but it could only be positioned with the steering shaft removed. (more fun) I had to work kinda' fast so the epoxy didn't dry on me. Not only that.....I had to make sure the gear in the key cylinder was positioned properly so the switch moves to the right positions when the key is turned. (even more fun!)

Again......On my Sable it wasn't a pretty picture. I started in the morning and worked real slow and took a lot of breaks. My Chilton’s manual doesn't mention anything about this repair so I was on my own.

This was about two months ago and the pin is holding up just fine. Only problem is the Air Bag light is flashing a code. (#32)
I've rechecked all the wiring and plugs but can't get the code to quit.
Good luck, I hope yours is easier than my Sable!
Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: